1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pirates fans planning walkout on Saturday

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by sports scrub, Jun 28, 2007.

1. sports scrub

sports scrub Member

Pittsburgh Pirates are planning a walkout Saturday to get national attention to how bad the team is, like everyone doesn't already know ...

Pirates are doing everything they can, however, to sweep it under the rug

http://postgazette.com/pg/07179/797796-194.stm

discuss ...

2. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Tell me, why does a fan of the Yankees care if the Pirates are knee-deep in their 15th conescutive losing season?

Better yet, why does anyone outside Pittsburgh care?

3. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

Because the Pirates are part of Major League Baseball. Every real baseball fan should care, or at least pay some attention, to the overall product that is being put out there outside of their general interest. The Pirates aren't the Devil Rays, they used to matter.

4. This is the stupidest fucking thing I've ever fucking heard. Let's BUY tickets and then WALK OUT as the game is being played. Fucking brilliant. Must be nice having that fucking change burning a whole in your pocket.

I have an idea. Don't buy a fucking ticket.

5. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

If you're winning Jeffrey, you don't care about the health or winning percentage of the losers. And, the advent of the wild card currently has 12 teams within six games of a playoff spot. Add six division winners to that and more than half the league has playoff hope. Sure, it's an illusion, but it's one many have fallen for.

And, as for those caring coast-to-coast, they might, if there weren't 30 teams to follow and if we saw more than just our local team on television every now and again.

Hell, yout think a guy in Oakland is going to care when the TV station COVERING the Pirates doesn't care - or at least won't broadcast or even talk about the walkout?

6. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Exactly. Stop buying the product.

7. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Except I would buy one, because that's a gorgeous stadium at a modest price. And I'm a fan.

8. I would buy one, too, if I were around Pittsburgh. But I wouldn't walk out.

9. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Exactly. I mean for 9 bucks, I believe, you can buy a bleacher seat which is just fine. On a warm summer night there's not many other places I'd rather be in Pittsburgh.

10. sports scrub

sports scrub Member

The reason a Yankees fan should care is the Pirates are taking your luxary tax money and putting it in their owner's pocket instead of using it to improve the on field product ...

11. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Winning cures all. Bottom line. Not to mention, the luxury tax is a joke, a drop in the bucket.

12. sports scrub

sports scrub Member

agreed but when an owner can use that money to help turn a profit with a losing team in a stadium built with millions in taxpayer dollars, something has to be done, I'm glad fans in Pittsburgh are finally starting to make some noise, even if no one else in the country will give a shit

Draft saved Draft deleted