1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pink Floyd, live on PBS/The Who, and a bunch of schleps

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Piotr Rasputin, Aug 10, 2006.

1. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

So they're doing the whole pledge drive thing on Pretty Boring Stuff (snicker, snicker), and they are showing this Pink Floyd show from a live DVD, circa a few years ago. Only a $200 pledge! Or go pick it up at the record store for a lot less.

Anyway, the band seemed to be: Dave Gilmour (guiter), Nick Mason (drums), Richard Wright (keyboards) . . and a bunch of other bozos. A youngish bass player, three backup singers who looked stoned and sounded so, and ANOTHER drummer and ANOTHER keyboard player.

Ahem.

If you go out on the road, and in the band meetings someone says, 'Um, I think I'm gonna need help on drums/keyboards to get the job done," then it's time to hang it up. People come to see the band, not the band and all the extra people they need to pay who necessitate higher ticket prices.

Pretty light show though.

Which brings me to the Who. They are playing the Hollywood Bowl soon. Tickets range from 50 bucks to 280 bucks, with special ones at 450 bucks. But it's NOT the Who! It's Roger Daltrey and Pete Townshend dragging themselves up there to play with a bunch of schleps!

Who the hell are "keyboardist John "Rabbit" Bundrick, bassist Pino Palladino, drummer Zak Starkey and guitarist Simon Townshend, who is also acting as the supporting act for The Who with his band The Casbah Club." (courtesy wikipedia)?

Nobody. A couple of sons of rock royalty. A good rule to follow for these guys is: if two or more original members are dead, stop touring as that original band!

The point? two great bands who put out some wonderful music in their day, and who should now hang it up.

At least when Jimmy Page and Robert Plant got together a decade ago to bore the hell out of us with their new stuff, they didn't call it Led Zeppelin.

Rant over.

2. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

John "Rabbit" Bundrick is a keyboardist who's been playing with the Who since the early 1970s.

3. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

You are correct--that doesn't qualify as the Who.

The Who died when Moon died. And when you take away Entwistle too, well, sorry you're not the band you purport to be.

I also had a co-worker go see the Beach Boys recently. Jeezus H--are there any of them left? When will these shenanigans stop?
    Will we find that these bands get willed down through the family like Redskins season tickets, and we'll see the Rolling Stones 20 years out fronted by Jade Jagger or a Beatles re-union with Sean and Zak leading the way

Now, on Page, it would have been better if they had re-formed Zep than submitting the dreck the Firm produced. And with the 3 band remaining band members, they could have pulled it off with a key drummer addition.

4. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

They should only be allowed to use the name as follows:

Who?

5. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

I believe Rabbit toured with them as early as '75, though he didn't record in the studio with them.

Could be mistaken.

6. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

X-H, you're right.

Rabbit's enjoyed fifth Beatle fifth Who member status for years.

Starkey's a very good drummer, doesn't fill and isn't nearly as showy as Moonie, but he'll do.

Palladino is Pete's longtime bassist for his solo work. He stepped in with zero notice for the first show sans Spider at The Bowl, and, like Starkey, was servicable, but wise enough not to go lo-pro.

You didn't mention the fact that if you join The Who's premium member club for only like sixty bucks, you can get presale tix, which went on sale this morning for The Howllywood Bowl shows. I've seen them several times, but I think I'll pass on this one.

7. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Just add Jason Bonham to Led Zep and you at least have a link to John. However, Plant, I believe, was the one most vocal about it all after John died saying that was it for Led Zep.

Jason did, however, play with the 3 living members for the Atlantic Records 40th anniversary show as Led Zep.

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

No need to badmouth the Firm.

9. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

I'm with you, Buck. Having Paul Rodgers, Jimmy Page, Tony Franklin and Chris Slade together in a band didn't suck.

10. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

When Daltrey, Townshend and Entwistle toured in the late 80s they has a massive support group with a second guitarist (Pete T. was all acoustic that tour because of his hearing problem), horns, a percussionist, backup singers, the works. When it came time to introduce everyone Townshend gestured to the band and said, "It may be a bit cheeky to call this The Who but....."

11. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

PBS also has been running the Australian Pink Floyd Show. I attended a show of theirs last year and was impressed. Only $30 or so. Great light show...of course, but the performers really were passionate about the music. They reconstruct the Floyd classic albums...in my case I saw the whole of Dark Side and then an extended greatest hits set.

I hate tribute acts too, but this one is different. That's why they sell out arenas in Europe...and will here. There's no one up there pretending to be Dave Gilmour or Roger Waters. They just execute the music and do it flawlessly perhaps better than the real Floyd did live back in the day.

I'm serious.

Draft saved Draft deleted