1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Piniella Skips Media Session--is this really a story?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by 21, Apr 25, 2007.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm not sure it deserved a headline... It's a note...

2. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I keep wondering why it bothered me....I think it was the headline treatment. We keep talking about how the readers don't care how we do our job; this just screamed (at me, anyway), 'We had a hard time doing our job!'

It's not a big deal...I just wanted to see if anyone else winced. I defer to the wise opinions on this thread.

3. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Yeah, after thinking about it, the headline treatment does make a difference. I still say it's a note, but headline material? Not so sure. I guess someone decided it was the best note, or the longest, so it needed to be the lede.

I've argued about this during redesign meetings -- when I make a case for standing notebook headers for each team, headers that don't need a headline for the lede item (but can be replace by a headline when needed). Or, if the lede item really begs for a headline, maybe it's a stand-alone story, huh?

Sometimes your notebook is filled with notes that don't deserve a headline.

UMass players get first taste of gumbo

Just run it under a standing head that says NCAA Regional Notes or something more catchy, unless it's important enough to be a story. If it is, make it a story with a headline.

4. I think it's a headline today because he's explaining why he didn't meet with the media yesterday, which was written about in all the Cubs-Brewers gamers.

You don't think Cubs fans went straight to this story?

5. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Not a story. Mark Prior out for the rest of 2007? Also not news.

6. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Actually, I kind of do want to see that. From a distance, of course.

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Well, since baseball writers absolutely cannot function without access to the source, this is front-page news.

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Is Soriano out for the year yet? Not that I'm bitter or anything.

9. He went to the Cubs, Moddy. Isn't that punishment enough? The only thing worse he might've done to incur supernatural forces of doom upon him is build a mansion on Indian burial ground.

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

He went to the Cubs because he "wants to win."
    Sack of shit.
    Say "I went because they offered me buttpiles of cash." I can respect that.
    The Nats may only win 20 games this year. Or maybe only 10. As long as three are against the Cubs, I can live with that. Well, as long as he's drilled in three games.
    But I'm not bitter or anything.

11. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

After watching parts of the last few games on satellite, Moddy, I'd say Soriano made the right call.
    It's not even about how many you lose, but how badly you lose. And they're baaaaaaaad.
    But I'm not bitter or anything. :D

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Blowing off one game isn't news. It's a note. But if he makes a habit of it then it's a story. And he'd probably get fined for it too.

How he hasn't gone postal yet is beyond me. Ronny Cedeno getting thrown out at second on a walk in the ninth inning of a one run game should have been good for a few "shits" and "fucks" in the postgame at least.

Draft saved Draft deleted