1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Piniella--Four game suspension.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 21, Jun 4, 2007.

1. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Eh, I believe when you get oiled-up crowds riled the way this tirade did, it goes beyond littering.

If one of those sturdy souvenir cups had nailed a player, it becomes something else. And, it should be pointed out, Wegner got the call right.

2. JackyJackBN

JackyJackBN Guest

Damn near hit the ump with it, too; I'll bet he got resin on the ump's trousers. I wondered what was going on when he started elbow crawling up to the back of the mound.

There has to be a place for a guy who can put on a performance like that, but it may not be minor league baseball. A few lessons from the Marlon Brando school of histrionics, just to tamp him down a bit, and he'll be ready for prime time.

Or, he can get a job with the Army at Fort Benning, attacking trainees with CX gas grenades around midnight. Sportsbruh can be his assistant.

(Oops; I guess we're db'ing sportshack's "tantrum" thread here. When am I going to learn to read every message on every thread? Until then, would anyone like to see a picture of a giant wild/domestic hog?)

3. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Has there ever been a manager trade? Can we swap Torre and Piniella, and start over?

4. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Once again, Bud Selig shows he has no backbone whatsoever.

Pete Rose visibly pushes an ump and gets 30 games. Lou gets FOUR games for kicking dirt and (allegedly) making contact with an ump? Ridiculous.

Too bad Roger Goodell couldn't double dip as baseball commish. Lou'd probably get suspended the rest of the season.

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Lou needs the break.

6. From the Seattle Post-Intelligencer:

On Aug. 3, 1960, the fourth-place Indians traded manager Jimmy Dykes straight up to the sixth-place Tigers for their manager, Joe Gordon, marking the only trade in-season of managers in major league history.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Four games for making contact with the umpire. Would have been nice if they had, you know, evidence, that he actually kicked the little fucker. Wonder how many games Froemming is going to get for initiating contact with Piniella?

Wegner needed to be smart enough to realize what Piniella was doing and just walk away. Instead the little man just made it worse. Good umpires know to walk away.

They had to give him something but four games is too much. Interesting that the last three games happily coincide with the Cubs' visit to the commissioner's favorite ballpark.

8. pallister

pallister Guest

My suggestion, if for nothing else than to spice things up for the Chicago media this summer, was Piniella for Guillen.

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Any snotty ump wearing reflector glasses on the field should get 10 games, minimum.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

that little fucker. i wish lou woulda made some serious contact.

11. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

That's some solid research right there.

12. indiansnetwork

indiansnetwork Active Member

If they would stop choking they wouldn't have to hear his criticism. Secondly, poor decision on the suspension, he didn't do anything that most managers haven't done at some point. Bud again trying to act tough on a soft issue but he disappears when the sports integrity is on the line.

Draft saved Draft deleted