1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pineiro to Red Sox?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by casty33, Jan 3, 2007.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

$4 million plus $2 million in incentives is a "good deal for all concerned" for a guy who had a 6.38 ERA last year and gave up 209 hits in 165.2 innings? Not arguing. I think that is the economics of baseball right now. Which means that when I have a kid, if he's born with a working arm and a pulse, I am teaching him how to throw even before he can walk.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Take one of the top closers in the AL and make him into a starting pitcher because it's easier on his arm.

Then take a crappy starting pitcher and try to turn him into the new closer.

Interesting. Well, the second part of that did work for Jose Mesa, so....

3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

And he is going to be a candidate for their closer's role? Does he even have any experience in the bullpen? I think the Mariners sent him there last year, but that was because he was getting ripped by every MLB lineup he faced as a starter.

4. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

But as was stated before, this kid had filthy stuff when he got called up. This is a good deal for one year, not five, to see if he still has it or not. Or would you rather pay Gil Meche 11 a year?

5. The Big Ragu

Oh, the Gil Meche deal was absurd. Not even close.

Seattle waited a few years to see if Piniero would get back his stuff. You'd have to guess it isn't happening. Still, no one answered my question from earlier in the thread. What exactly happened to Piniero, other than vague arm troubles and a vague, he lost his stuff? Does anyone have an answer?

6. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I have no answer for that Ragu, but things may become clear in the physical. He still has to pass it.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

Ragu, Piniero spent a lot of time on the DL with arm woes either two or three years ago. No surgery necessary, but his stuff never returned. As evidenced by his ERA last year--in a pitcher's park--he's cannon fodder as a starter.

Maybe he'll be good as a reliever, but I sure as hell would not bet $4 million on it in Boston.

So let's get this straight: The Red Sox had awful relief pitching in front of Papelbon last season and have decided to fix it by...signing a bunch of question marks, all of whom are going to vie to replace Papelbon at closer. I find it hard to believe that's going to work out.

8. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Will Craig Hansen be the closer come Opening Day?

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

Oh good God no. Not unless the Sox want to finish fifth.

OK, I forgot about the Devil Rays. Fourth.

10. There have been PED rumors floating, too.

I don't think this helps the Red Sox. Piniero's ERA+ since 2001:

207, 130, 117, 92, 77, 68.

All while he's theoretically entering his prime. And now he's moving to a much more hitter-friendly ballpark? Epstein has his strengths, but building a bullpen isn't one of them.

11. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Thanks to his recent moves, especially last season, that may have to read Epstein HAD his strengths.

12. The Big Ragu

Out of everyone in the mix right now, Brendan Donnelly is the most reliable. J.C. Romero is not ideal--he's best as a lefty setup guy, a role he dominates in--but he has also closed. If they aren't going to have a sure thing in the mix, they have certainly set themselves up with a few viable candidates. Donnelly may be getting a bit long in the tooth, but I actually think he has the stuff and make-up to close fairly reliably on a good team.

Draft saved Draft deleted