1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pinehurst No. 2 - US Open 2024 (Scheffler's Last Stand?)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by qtlaw, Jun 11, 2024.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The shots NBC showed of Rory in the scorer's area while DeChambeau played 18, even before Bryson hit the wonderful sand shot, were of a man thinking the darkest thoughts he had.

DanielSimpsonDay, SixToe and maumann like this.
  2. Michael_ Gee

As a PS: Both Rory's short misses and Bryson's one came from the same mistake I've been making for decades. Not hitting it hard enough nor making sure to aim at the center of the cup.

misterbc and maumann like this.
  3. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I know it’s a major but I hate seeing it come down to two short misses. That’s not why I watch. I want to see great shots (Bryson’s bunker shot on 18) not misses from 4’. (Of course that’s golf, every day, all day).

Deskgrunt50 and maumann like this.
  4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

And they only play, what, 14 tournaments a year?

5. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Right now? Top 10 at the Masters. Second at PGA. Won the US Open.

Easily top 5 in the world. Strong case for second behind Scheffler. Unreal what he did this week. Missing that many fairways in a US Open is usually a death sentence. But he made shot after shot after shot.

And one three-putt (I think?) all week on those greens? Putting and short game were phenomenal.

He’s hotter than hot. If he wins at Troon? Hoo boy.

6. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

My pop was a huge Arnold Palmer fan. He loved the excitement of him getting into trouble and finding a way out. The swashbuckling style. And the connection with the fans.

Not too many players have that. DeChambeu certainly does right now. He definitely seems like a different dude than a few years ago.

BitterYoungMatador2 likes this.
  7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

He's now 10th in the world rankings, which is incredible considering he only gets four cracks a year at points. And of Nos. 1-9, only Scottie and Xander are consistently excellent. Aberg and Morikawa have been solid too. But there are not nine guys better than Bryson at this moment.

What would be really great is if the PGA Tour would extend an olive branch and put him on the U.S. Presidents Cup team, boosting that moribund event. But heaven forbid the Tour upsets its members and do something with fans in mind.

Deskgrunt50 likes this.
  8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Bryson's approach on 18 was far more impressive than the bunker shot to me. Tree root right in front of him, shit all around the ball. Could have gone so many different ways. Professional golfers love bunker shots. I guarantee you Bryson was happier to be where he was than on a tight lie short of the green in the fairway.

Rory with the all-time gack job. Bryson willing himself to par when he absolutely had to. Such a great finish.

I Should Coco and maumann like this.
  9. Michael_ Gee

Alice is a sometimes sports fan but not a golf fan. She was half watching the Open on the couch with me but really doing social media on her phone. Until Bryson and Rory missed those short putts in succession. After that she was completely engrossed until the winning putt. Funny how the agony of the game grabbed her attention when mere excellence couldn't.

10. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Think of the reaction of Bryson would have showed up wearing the +1’s….the hat and the whole bit. That place would have lost its mind over him.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2024
  11. Key

Key Well-Known Member

The putt on 18 wasn’t what lost it as much as the miss on 16 (I think it was 16). The one on 18 took a wicked right turn.

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Being OK with a 55-yard bunker shot is pretty high on the list of "these guys play a different game than us"

Draft saved Draft deleted