1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pilot channels Juan Williams, refuses to fly Muslims

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Point of Order, May 7, 2011.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Also, we can't encourage a "see something, say something" society and then get upset when people respond.

2. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

They could just be trying out for the Amazing Race!

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I'm sure there's extra nerves in the airline industry right now. But they should relax. If Al Queda is going to strike, it will do it quite a while from now, when people could be on not such high alert. Meantime, it will be fun to see how Delta tries to suppress evidence on national security grounds when those two Muslims sue them.

4. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

That is a side of this I really had not thought about. Outstanding point. Since I really don't know the facts I will not form an opinion, unlike all the "Let them ride a camel" idiots that were commenting on the Yahoo thread.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Since airlines can't legaly racially profile people, they leave it up to the passengers.

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Mr. Met says, "if you see something, say something":

[​IMG]

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I'm not necessarily blaming them if they popped off about the way they were treated. I'd say its understandable. I'd also say it's understandable if somebody (or somebodies) with a room temperature IQ over-reacted to what they heard.

One other thing that would be interesting to find out would be to see if Delta tried to talk the pilot into essentially violating their own security policies and let the two guys stay on the plane.

As was mentioned, you don't bring a plane back to the gate because you don't feel like flying somebody.

If he followed the Delta rules for handling a perceived security threat and Delta tried to force him to ignore those rules the airline could be sued by the two men they kicked off the flight AND the other passengers at the same time.

8. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

That's fine, except for the part where the guys got screened two or three times and still got cleared to fly.

Like others, I'm sure there is something else to this story. Maybe the pilot was stressed out and overworked and had a breakdown. Maybe the passengers objected to the multiple screenings. Maybe the other passengers were the xenophobic ones, and the pilot was worried there would be a fight on board. Definitely interested to see some follow-up stories.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I find it highly unlikely that the pilot made this decision unprovoked. I think we'll eventually find out that the other passengers basically forced him to take the plane back to the gate.

10. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

So, mob rule prevails over common sense and established security procedures? I sure hope not.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

From what I've seen, I trust mob rule over TSA procedures.

12. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

Just saw a CNN piece with the caption that the pax felt uncomfortable.

I'm guessing it was the lesser of two evil. I don't know the type of plane, but ASA typically flies CRJ-200s, seating up to 50. If it was full, and it could've been 48 to 2. The pilot took the path of least resistance.

And what if something HAD happened? Then everyone is up in arms about they had THREE chances to remove these guys.

Draft saved Draft deleted