1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pilot channels Juan Williams, refuses to fly Muslims

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Point of Order, May 7, 2011.

1. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

You are completely correct. I was reading through the 600+ comments on this story on YAhoo and was amazed at what I was reading. 100% backing up the pilot. About 200 comments in I was still reading when, suddenly, there were no comments on the story and they displayed the message "be the first to comment on this story." So, yes, people were loving this pilot in the comments. Howev er, why pull all the comments down?

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I guess Bobby Jindal showed his birth certificate so a pilot wouldn't refuse to fly a plane with him in it.

3. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

May have just been a glitch, Carlton. I just looked at the story and it has over 2,200 comments ... most just like you characterized them. Kinda sad.

A story I read earlier said the two men were screened by TSA ... went through secondary screening ... and then were screened AGAIN when the pilot took the plane back to the gate. Even after the third screening, the pilot still refused to let them on the plane.

Outrageous.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

This story just stinks to high heaven. Would love to hear the pilot's rationale for this.

5. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

I don't think these quotes from the Atlanta Southeast spokesman helps matters much:

How about apologizing for the ignorant actions of a xenophobic pilot guy.

6. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

Amazing how many chances this pilot was given to back down from his ignorance...and passed. Embarassing. I want you all to watch Fox to see how they treat this...I guarantee they rip the pilot apart.

7. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

Have we heard the pilot's side yet?

All airline personnel are trained on this. I'm sure it isn't the first time ASA has flown Muslims so there has to be something that triggered this. And don't just say ignorance or xenophobia. To bring a plane back to a gate isn't a small thing.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I once was on a Delta Connect from Greenboro to LGA and halfway there the pilot turned around and went back to Greensboro. Why -- because he forgot his brief case that had his car keys.

So I guess they do go back to the gate for small things.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

And that's why this story just sounds fishy as hell. Really would like to hear the pilot's rationale for this. It had to be more than "I don't want these guys on the plane."

10. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

Boom, not saying I don't believe you, but I don't.

No way would an airline allow a RTB for keys. If they did, whomever was the dispatcher for that flight, either came up with a creative excuse or didn't stay employed there.

11. chilidog75

chilidog75 Member

This story is unbelievable. Literally. I just can't imagine a scenario in which a pilot forces two people off a plane for nothing more than being Muslim. There HAS to be more to this story.
    Otherwise, holy shit.

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

It happened. Pilot even announced it like it was Ok. When we got back to gate I verbally blasted the pilot and was almost put off plane.

Called President's office of Delta the next day and they ended up giving me 25,000 FF Miles.

Draft saved Draft deleted