1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

piling on whitlock

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by henryhenry, Nov 27, 2006.

1. Double J

Double J Active Member

The original Voice of Canada:

[​IMG]

His gravestone reads: The world's best loved father, Ben Cartwright. The great voice of Canada finally stilled, but silenced never.

2. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I wonder what Don Cherry will put on his gravestone.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Speaking of Mark Kriegel found interesting entry in blog that Rick Telander is doing for ESPN :

So I check out the New York Daily News, look for my old scribbling pals like T.J. Quinn, Mike Lupica, Lisa Olson, Mark Kriegel and others. Then I remember Kriegel is gone, off to California, writing weighty tomes such as his recent best-selling book, "Namath." And I remember I will soon treat you, dear hoops bloggians, to a review of his sparkling-new, still-in-manuscript Pistol, the biography of the late, tragic, from-another-planet, hoops demigod Pete Maravich. The book is freaking awesome. I read it fast as I could. This book had me talking to Kriegel long and passionately via phone, just as I did about Namath. M-Krieg's got the obsession gene, kids, and you don't want to miss its creative spawn.

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

I loved "Namath", but it was remaindered, in a heartbeat.

Will be delighted to read Pistol, when it emerges.

5. Sportsbruh

Sportsbruh Member

He didn't take a RISK he was FIRED!!!

and trust, he miss those fat checks and expense accounts and the perks he used to enjoy. Now days you'll find him at home; ordering pizza.

6. statrat

statrat Member

Hi scoop. Thanks for checking in again. Next time post something that actually makes sense.

7. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Ryan never comes across as an asshole.

Though, not having that as an audio interview hurts a guy such as him more than most of us.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

He was fired for speaking his mind. At ESPN, that's a risk.

Thanks again, Scoop.

9. original ideas. transparency (free of agendas). DD, you definitely hit on 2 things i value deeply as a columnist.

on the days when i think no one gets it, i'm gonna come back and read your post.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

oh well lucky DD. he "gets" the messiah. pull yourself off the cross and figure out why people fucking dislike you so badly despite the fact you have all kinds of talent.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Whitlock - in short time I have read your column and watched you on Sports Reporters what I have always admired is that you are a moving target when it comes to your ideas. You do not allow yourself to be pigeon holed into a thought process just because it might be popular with the masses. You are never predictable when it comes to matters of race.

I do not always agree with you in what you say or write, but I do feel that at least you truly believe in your stance. As DD put it, you have shown intellectual honesty and the ability to remain true to yourself. That is not something I would ever write about Mike Lupica.

12. tommyp

tommyp Member

I worked at the NYDN in the short time that Kriegel was phased out in 2001.

All I can say about this is that I saw Kriegel in that newsroom practically every night, while Loopy was nowhere to be found.

Draft saved Draft deleted