1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

piling on whitlock

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by henryhenry, Nov 27, 2006.

1. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

ouch - give the poor guy a break already

http://www.sportsmediaguide.com/11272006-BobRyan-Pt2.asp

2. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Not directed at Bob, just saying in general:

What is it about this sportsmediaguide interview platform that makes otherwise sane people say these things publicly about colleagues??

3. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

And doesn't anyone in America know the difference between "rein" and "reign" anymore?

4. awriter

awriter Active Member

Just a theory: It's not in our nature to be candid. If we want subjects to open up to us, then -- for better or worse -- wouldn't it be a bit hypocritical for us to hold back?

5. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

I love Bob Ryan.

6. Babs

Babs Member

From, my experience, no.

7. "the world's last honest man."

i love that title. and i'm a big bob ryan fan. i don't have any real problem with what he said.

however, bob is not familiar with my column philosophy. i've been writing about me since 1992. mike royko wrote about mike royko. i grew up idolizing royko. so i write about whatever i'm doing as long as i can loosely relate it to the sports world. i occasionally wrote about the topics discussed on the sports reporters or pti. that's me. my ego was huge long before i ever appeared on the sports reporters. the show did nothing for my ego. i was always nice, polite and deferential to the veterans on the show until lupica, albom and valerio pulled their little stunt. bob has no idea that i tried to handle the situation privately between me and valerio. but valerio wouldn't remove his entire body from lupica's rear end. bob ryan cannot say that i've ever dealt with him in an egotistical manner. to the contrary, bob can only say i've shown him the utmost respect. same as i did for lupica and valerio until they decided to put me in my place about barry bonds. homie don't play dat.

8. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I love Bob Ryan squared.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

What's been well documented here is that Luppy is a weasel. SMG should have asked Ryan about Luppy running one of best young sports writers around out of business because he felt threatened. I am refering to Mark Kreigel.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Whatever happened to Kreigel? I thought I remember hearing he was working on a book, but I'm not sure... With all of the hacks out there, I would imagine he could get a columnist job somewhere...

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I am surprised that he did not get another columnist gig. He was the best columnist that the Daily News had and Luppy and his pal Leon Carter ran him out.

He did write a very good bio on Joe Namath.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i only wish dave kindred had said what bob ryan said, then i could say i love dave kindred ... but, i'm gaining new respect for this ryan, fella. he might have a future in front of him.

Draft saved Draft deleted