1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pigs on the wing: running swine flu (H1N1) thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bob Cook, Nov 2, 2009.

1. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I figure I'm as well-qualified to start one as any. My 4-year-old daughter has recovered from it, but my 12-year-old son picked it up Sunday. (His fever isn't peaking nearly so high, so -- cross my fingers -- it looks like he's on the downswing.) And, my wife woke up today feeling fatigued, her throat sore, and her temperature starting to rise. She'll get checked today, but I'm pretty sure she's got what everyone I know over the age of 70 calls the hiney flu. (Yeah, you can be flip because you're immune, you old farts!)

So how is everyone else feeling?

2. Chef

Chef Active Member

Good friend of mine had it and got through it.

High fever, sore throat, general tiredness......

3. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

AMC just finished showing Outbreak.

4. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Turns out my wife doesn't have the piggie flu -- just sinus trouble.

Still, two more healthy kids to go.

5. Chuck Dickey

Chuck Dickey Member

My daughter had the swine flu. It was the only time she was fortunate to have asthma, for that prompted the doctor to prescribe TamiFlu. It was a hell of a battle to track it down, but it's a fantastic drug. Even though the respiratory symptoms came on hard on the second day, the TamiFlu pretty much wiped it all out 24 hours later.

6. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

My sister had it. She lives three hours away. She got it during a six-week trip in Europe. Contracted it the week before she was to come home. Pretty much landed with it back here. She got over it, but it hit her hard and she immediately got bronchitis because of it. She's a nurse. So she still got the vaccination.

My daughter was sick for a week. Fever - that we could control with liquid baby Tylenol - cough, tired (fell asleep while eating - twice). She was the worst on a weekend. But she survived. We took her to the doc on the Monday, and the doc said "well, she may have it - or may have had it - but we'll never know now."

I've been sick for a week. All sinus though.

However, some may recall my food poisoning bout - and week after that I was deathly sick. All that was in March, when the first swine flu wave went through. I'm starting to think I already had it.

My pregnant wife and I decided two days ago neither of us nor our daughter will be getting vaccinated. None of us have ever received the seasonal flu shot either.

I know, I know, we're idiots.

Let the criticism begin.

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Any fool knows a dog needs a home ...

8. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Yes...great thread title.

I'm not sick...yet...but I've been washing my hands (and face) constantly and taking all the neccessary steps to protect myself. I doubt I'll make it through the winter without contracting it. The odds are not good with this one.

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Ha, ha, charade (swine flu) are ...

10. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Thought an Arkansas fan brought down an airplane....

11. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

Sore throat? Check.
    Fever? Check.
    Fatigue? Check.
    Muscle soreness? Check.

The worst part? My cable and internet won't get hooked up until tomorrow ... It has been four days without either and I work for the company!

12. Mitch E.

Mitch E. Member

Last week, myself, the wife, and son were
    all under the weather. Not too bad but my son was running a fever. My daughter, who had the "pig shot", was fine. Today she went to preschool and six of the 12 kids were out sick with the flu. And she's still fine.

Draft saved Draft deleted