1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pigs fly in Philly

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JayFarrar, May 14, 2007.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Let us all take a break from talking about Whitlock and discuss Philly.
    Specifically this special section that ran in May.
    http://go.philly.com/images/PigsFlySection.pdf
    And hopefully this isn't a D_B.
    I'd like to post an image of the cover, but I don't know how.
    Anyway, circ is up in Philly and in response, the publisher ran a special section headlined
    PIGS FLY! in about 200 point type and it ran under a fake flag that said Impossible News.
    The article also had art of pigs flying from the Philly Inky building.
    It is a four-page section full of graphics, and stories that talk about what is going on.
    I know Tierney, the publisher, has taken some hits, but I was sorely amused by the article about the Pessimists Society wondering how the glass got half-full. And the graphics explaining the wings on a flying pig and the temperature in Hell, it has frozen over.
    And newspaper types as a whole loath self-promotion (Whitlock being the exception that proves the rule) but, why? I mean, if you aren't going to talk about yourself, who will?
    Does a little article in Philly Biz or Editor&Publisher talking about your circulation gains really get the message out to the widest possible audience?
    I don't think so.
    And something done with a sense of humor, like this, doesn't seem bad to me.

2. Moland Spring

Moland Spring Member

and readers care because....?

3. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Because some readers have a vested interest in the paper. They feel like they have ownership and a say in what happens. So some are pleased to see their paper doing well.
    Plus, you'd be surprised by what some readers care about.
    Advertisers care and they read the paper too. They are also the ones who pay the bills.

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

When CBS says, "More TV viewers watch CBS than any other network" . . . do the viewers care?

It's simply a way to get a message across.

When Philly promotes its gains, it sends a message to people and makes them think, "Hey, I wonder if I'm missing something if I don't read it."

5. Moland Spring

Moland Spring Member

Yeah, I think that makes sense, maybe.

Draft saved Draft deleted