1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Piece

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Ric Flair guy, Jan 14, 2009.

1. GuessWho

GuessWho Active Member

Piece, schmiece, they're all just fucking stories. (Damn, sounding like spnited.)

2. Ric Flair guy

Ric Flair guy Member

I prefer story, myself.

3. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

It took me a few years, but in these parts, for most people, a column is an "article."

"Liked your article on Sunday," they say. Oh, I wrote, like three and a roundup plus a column. Which one?

"Your ARTICLE," they say. "The one on the Lions."

After only a few years, I got up to speed.

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Whether to use piece or not is a question best left after deciding whether pop, soda or coke is kosher.

5. sportsed

sportsed Member

"Piece" always sounded like jargon only journalists would understand, but then I heard Bush use the word in his exit interview the other day. So if The Shrub knows what the word means, I'd imagine just about anyone would, empty as it is.

6. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

I've been in this so long that when I started, there were stories, features and columns.
    Now there are pieces, containers, takeouts, enterprise, centerpieces, ......

7. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Take it!

8. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

Doesn't bother me. And it's funny that as I'm reading this, I just heard my ME use it.
    Piece out.

9. Mediator

Mediator Member

Piece... Isn't that what Plax had in his pants?

10. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Oddly enough, and referenced above, I've always been bugged when people refer to things we write as "articles," certainly when I was in the print businesss, and that carries over today.

But a weird new one bugs me, too: When somebody writes about one of our columnists, and refers, for good or bad, to a column as a "post."

Piece doesn't bother me that much.

11. GuessWho

GuessWho Active Member

Actually, at our place we refer to them as "things."

"Nice thing you had today."

"Ive gotta do a thing on recruiting."

Etc.

Of course, at our place we're all just a bunch of rubes from Hooterville.

12. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

And when did "a piece of art" hit the newsroom? We used to call them photos.

Draft saved Draft deleted