1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Picture - When readers attack

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Tommy_Dreamer, Mar 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

To be honest, I'd love to know what the reporter was feeling when he took this shot.

It has to be one of those "God I don't want to do this, but I have to moments" that we all must go through at one time of our lives. I don't envy him for being there at this tragic moment, but I do respect the balls they had for taking this photo.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

to be honest, i hate that photo because i can picture myself in the same withering lump that poor bastard is sitting in if something like that happened to one of the heartbreakers.

but, hammer. head. you nailed it.

great post newbie.

3. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Great, great photo.

But there are various levels of rationalization that go into running it, I think.

First, who needs to know? Isn't that the driving force for printing news? That the public needs to know?

2. When people say that a comment is "off the record", we don't run a word.

Yet, an unfortunate subject such as this guy has no say in whether this invasion into his hell runs?

3. If this was a buck-naked woman running out of her house to her dead child, would we run that, too?

4. Simon_Cowbell

Sorry, if you need a photo to get you in touch with how devastated you would be at the loss of a child, then.... Well, as I wrote above, I think it's a chickenshit rationalization.

5. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Simon, you seem to be the only one among us who disagrees with running the photo. However, sometimes a photo like this is the only way to truly, truly tell the story.

When I saw photos of the federal buidling in Oklahoma City after the bombing, I was shocked. But the true impact of that devastation was more clearly told in the shocking photo of the firefighter holding the battered body of Bailey Almon. That photo, more than any other, gave you a true sense of the disaster.

The photo was powerful and saddening, but appropriate.

6. Simon_Cowbell

Absolutely.

Providing coverage of a terrorist attack, any aspect of it, clearly falls under satisfying the public's need to know.

No problem with running that incredible photo.

7. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I was using that photo as an example, not as the standard. Why would this photo be any different?

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Tommy, your reporter can take next year's Pulitzer Prize, hold it next to his or her ass, and tell Joe Reader to choose between kissing one or the other.

Because that picture is a winner.

9. Simon_Cowbell

Readers have no compelling need to know about that incident that objectively justifies the invasion of privacy by that photo.

10. Simon_Cowbell

No doubt.

We'll give out hardware for that.

Doesn't make it right.

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

Have any problem with this one Simon?

[​IMG]

12. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Uhm, B.S. Otherwise, why even report the story? The readers have no compelling need to know a kid got run over by a bus, right?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.