1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pics of Bush from AFA graduation

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spinning27, May 29, 2008.

1. pallister

pallister Guest

And you haven't earned the right for anyone to take you seriously.

2. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

I'd say perceptions can change.

I voted for the man twice.

And everything he has done, every action he has taken or failed to take, be it on an issue of national importance or of simple personal judgment, has consistently disappointed, almost without fail for a good 6+ years now.

So, yes, my perception is probably pretty established now. But, it wasn't always that way.

W, you had me, then you lost me.

3. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

To be fair, it's not as if he showed up uninvited and forced these kids to clown around with him at Secret Service gunpoint. The AP story's pretty clear that the hijinks and silliness were the graduates' idea, and the president just went along. If he'd refused, would you have ripped him for being too good to have some fun with kids who were going to be spending the next few years in service to their country? Because THAT might have actually been justifiable.

(Why, oh why, am I back posting on these fucking threads? Dammit, F_B, if you were here, I'd already be too pissed off to stick around. You're missed bud.)

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

'Cept for Capt. Kirk, more unchanged minds, on both sides . . . nothing to see, here . . .

5. Mighty_Wingman

Gosh, that never happens...

6. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

To be honest with you, the fact that the kids egged him on bothers me as well. The military academies have, by and large, become country clubs relative to what they were (except for West Point). We spent a shitload of tax money pumping out scientists and administrators, not warriors. Ask anybody who went to one in the 60s, 70s or 80s. The standards have absolutely gone to shit and discipline is basically gone relative to what it was back then.

7. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Talk about just trying to make a big deal out of nothing. There's nothing at all wrong with this. He's a gawd-awful president. He couldn't try and fuck things up even more. But outrage over this?! Not buying it.

8. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

OK, now you're getting stupid. Talk about what you know, dude.

9. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

This will not end well.

10. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

Cross-threading (and a little thread-jacking, sorry)....

The other day, in the aftermath of the tornado that pretty much destroyed two towns here in Iowa, Iowa Gov. Chet Culver was talking to a woman whose house had been destroyed when his cell phone rang. It was President Bush calling to see what kind of federal help was needed. Culver, a Democrat, talked to him for a few minutes, then handed the phone over to the woman, so she could talk to the president. She was quoted by the Des Moines Register saying she was shocked that she got to talk to the president. It was a nice story.

The Register had a seven-paragraph sidebar about what happened and popped it up on its Web site. By that afternoon, there were five pages of comments from people bitching how Bush was using the disaster for his political gain, how he'll call tornado victims but not the families of dead soldiers, etc. It was a moment that probably brought some comfort to a woman who had lost her home and probably everything she owned, yet people chose to see something that wasn't there.

No, he hasn't been a good president and yeah, I voted for the guy twice. But the example I bring up, and some of the posts on this thread, make me agree with what was said earlier _ the guy can't do anything right in a lot of people's eyes.

11. Italian_Stallion

Italian_Stallion Active Member

I'm not stretching anything. I'm just saying that spending five minutes with someone doesn't open a window into his soul. Unless, of course, you're George W. Bush, and you're meeting with Vladimir Putin.

As for whether this is humorous, I'm not laughing. To me, it's like the drunk guy at the party who throws up, passes out and wakes up with "I'm a cocksucker" written on his forehead. Everyone thinks he's hilarious but his girlfriend. She's ashamed. She's mortified. I feel like that girl. Or, put another way, I feel like Bush should have felt after seeing those photos from Abu Ghraib.

12. Mighty_Wingman

I'm guessing this rant, more or less in its entirety, has been applied to every generation of cadets by the previous generation. I can just see the likes of Winfield Scott fuming about George Pickett's lack of discipline, or George Marshall grousing about Dwight Eisenhower's fixation on football over studies.

Draft saved Draft deleted