1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Picky eaters?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by WaylonJennings, Nov 18, 2008.

1. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

This thread scares me. Little Bobcat (age 5) is a very picky eater, and I've just been living under the assumption that he'll just grow out of it.

When we go out to eat, we basically have to find him a grilled cheese, hot dog or chicken strips. And if there are any vegetables on the plate ... look out.

He refuses to any any fruit except mandarin oranges. Just to prove a point, the other day I offered him $20 to eat one blueberry (one!!!) and he wouldn't do it.

2. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

I think the biggest problem with picky eaters - which I am - is not having certain foods cooked correctly.
    I hated asparagus. Had it at a nice steakhouse cooked properly - crispy on the outside, but still a tad soft - and it was amazing.
    I don't like fish - had it at a couple places and it was amazing.

I won't eat eggs - gross - sushi - almost puke - tomatoes or mushrooms, but seriously - try foods you might not like when they;re cooked well.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Shit. I'll take you up on that.

4. editorhoo

editorhoo Member

My entire life I've been living under the assumptions that I'm an only child, only to find out today that Waylon and IJAG are my long-lost siblings. Picky, picky, picky. Onions=barf. Fruit at room temp=barf. Mixing most foods=barf.

And the last girl I dated started and finished each dish on her plate before moving to the next. She never knew, but I was secretly watching in awe every time we ate together. I don't like mixing foods, but I thought that was unique.

And I don't necessarily think we're "picky." We just know what we want. ;)

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Well, except for Buck.

His list makes sense.

6. RossLT

RossLT Guest

I do that also, eating in sections.

My brother won't eat anything that he has seen prepared and neither will my mom. I missed out on this gene, but I prepare most of my own food.

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Ew, Mr. Apple, you have a bruise!

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I warned my fiancee that I had food "issues", but in the month she has been here things have been OK. She is a vegetarian whose idea of a great restaurant is Sweet Tomatoes. I can't eat anything there --- other than buttermilk biscuits, cornbread and chocolate muffin --- and my idea of a great restaurant is Cracker Barrell.

But I make no demands from her or anyone. If I don't like what you like --- and I almost never do --- I will take care of myself. A peanut butter sandwich to me beats anything I will find at Sweet Tomatoes or Olive Garden.

It's been frustrating, sometimes embarrassing. I have even wondered whether a hypnotist could help.

But during two visits to Russia I really did try several new things. The results were mixed. I did not particularly like anything new . . . but at least I am relieved that I probably have not been "missing out" by avoiding new and different foods all these years. Maybe I would like them. But probably not.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

If my wife woke up tomorrow and decided she didn't like Cracker Barrel, my next stop would be the divorce lawyer.

I mean, hell, how can you not like a place where you can get great syrup AND Yes & Know games?

[​IMG]

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Asks the man who still leaves four golf tees on the jump-over game at the table...

11. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

They still make those? I loved them.

12. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Weak guys. Weak posters. Since they're usually one and the same, IJAG doesn't have to portion in separate bowls. :D

I didn't think I was too picky. My parents made it a near-mission for me to try a lot of things. They know I draw the line at mushrooms (probably because my mother saw me gag and vomit after eating one) and am not a big fan of onions.

Frighteningly, compared to a couple of my friends over the years, I look almost unpicky. Scary ...

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
Draft saved Draft deleted