1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Picky eaters?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by WaylonJennings, Nov 18, 2008.

1. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Through high school I was a very picky eater. Then I grew up and became a lot less picky.

The big three I avoid because I'm a picky eater -- rice (white, brown, in sushi, mixed into something else); mushrooms (all varities, raw or cooked or mixed in something else -- unless its so finely sliced and diced and covered by other ingredients I don't taste it); and the majority of salad dressings (I like my salad dry).

Being jewish I keep somewhat kosher and avoid pork, shellfish, and mixing dairy & meat products (so nothing like cheeseburgers for me).

2. EStreetJoe

based on the responses on this board, it is if they're on the same plate. :D :D ;D

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

My god even reading that makes me lose my appetite.

4. EStreetJoe

Mustard gets in the way of the ketchup, onions, tomatoes and other good stuff on the burger. So no mustard on burgers or hot dogs.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  5. What I can't believe is how other people react so strongly to it.

This began in college, when I first had to eat at a cafeteria consistently with other people. My friends were just incredulous. I'd be sitting there with my waffle on my plate for lunch because I didn't like anything they were having, and I'd just feel like three sets of eyes staring at my plate, waiting for me to say, "What?" so they could unload about how weird I was.

Even now, I have trouble going to Subway because if I don't get any vegetables on my sub, the person behind the counter will inevitably say, "Okaaaay ..." like it's the weirdest thing ever.

Same thing with a plain hot dog somewhere.

6. EStreetJoe

Question for those that don't like to mix things on the same plate. Next week when you get together with family (or friends) for Thanksgiving do you have just a plate of turkey, then just a plate of stuff, then just a plate of mashed potatoes, then just a plate of cranberries?

7. EStreetJoe

There's nothing wrong with a plain hot dog. That's how I eat 'em - just the dog and a bun.

8. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Y'all are a bunch of weirdos.

9. Try walking out of a Speedway with your hot dog unadorned like that.

You'll have the 350-pound blonde with neck tatoos looking at you like you're a freak show.

10. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

No, EStreet, I eat each on the same plate, but individually, not mixed up like some stew.

I will not eat onions in any form. I don't eat at McDonald's because the last time I ordered a hamburger without onions, the staff acted like I was asking for the third secret of Fatimah. When I was little I'd sit there and pick the onions out of whatever I was eating, and it's no different now. I don't like the crunch, I don't like the taste or the texture. I hate onions. Period.

And yet green bean casserole gets a pass.

11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

A.) I won't get that experience. :( :D

B.) I get turkey and potatoes on one plate, smash a hole in the potatoes and put the gravy in there, then put some gravy in a separate bowl for my turkey to be dipped into (I don't even like the gravy mixing together, because it leads to potato contamination) and a separate bowl for my corn. That's how I do it.

12. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

When I'm at a game, that is perfect.

Draft saved Draft deleted