1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pickup basketball - it's a riot

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Aug 24, 2009.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I didn't mention this on the "places to get your ass kicked" thread from back in the day, but Perry County, Ala., is a stong contender. An impressive day's work any time you get nearly 5% of the county seat involved in a melee.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5gXjpZPw85Vou-5WNAAdx2v01zSvQD9A9GSLO0

What could have caused such strife and disharmony? Hey, it's Alabama. Of course it has something to do with a ball game.

http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/article/20090824/NEWS/908249949/1007?Title=Pick-up-basketball-game-sparks-riot-in-Marion

2. GoochMan

GoochMan Active Member

Hey, no layups means no layups. I can't help it if you come into the lane with some soft-ass bullshit.

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

They approve.

4. Colin Dunlap

Colin Dunlap Member

Pretty nonchalant, just shake-it-off attitude by the police chief. On the list of big league moves, getting hit in the head with a crowbar and simply walking it off is near the top.

5. Sleeper

Sleeper Member

Honestly, I'm surprised there isn't more violence associated with pickup basketball games. I used to play a lot of (lousy) b-ball, and people just seemed to lose their damn minds on a regular basis. Bullshit ruins many a good game -- either it's irrational heated arguments over fouls or the score or it's people getting clobbered on drives like the NBA championship is on the line. And don't forget about the entire "who's got next" arguments. The community center I play at had to start mandatory sign-up sheets for games, even if there are only a handful of people in the gym.

6. Colin Dunlap

Colin Dunlap Member

Don't forget the "guy who always waits to see if his layup drops before calling a foul" guy and then, if it doesn't, predictably is like, "I got one" as the ball is headed the other way, up the court.

7. GoochMan

GoochMan Active Member

respect my fuckin' call!

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Same here, and that's part of the reason why I stopped playing at the community center and instead got together with a group of friends from work to play 3-on-3, 4-on-4, etc., after deadline. Much more fun.

9. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

That's part of the reason I enjoyed watching the 30-plus league at my old gym. I'd run laps on the track upstairs while the guys downstairs gave me plenty of entertainment with their BS arguments. It was always more fun when they started shoving, too, as long as my one coworker that played wasn't involved. (He usually just lost his cool and swore, which doesn't always go over well at a YMCA...)

Good stuff, but definitely a few a--holes who were going to cause crap every time they returned for a few games.

10. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

A lot of riots would stop if everyone stuck to the offensive player calls the fouls.

11. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

In college a small group of pickup players insisted if you called foul, you get the ball, no points whether the ball went in or not.
    But, if you called AND 1, and it didn't go in, you got neither.

How about if I get judo chopped in the arm, I get the ball back and if it goes in it doesn't matter, we play on?

12. Chef

Chef Active Member

Play on, stang.

I'm going to have to watch "White Men Can't Jump" again tonite after reading this thread.

Best trash-talking sports movie EVER.

Draft saved Draft deleted