1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pickoffs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by greenlantern, Apr 15, 2009.

1. greenlantern

greenlantern Guest

I'm typing up a minor league baseball box score for the local team. We do it just like an AP MLB box. Do pickoffs go somewhere and if so, where do they go and what's the proper abbreviation? Is it PO?

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

It's "PO" in my book -- to make it more clear for my eyes -- but, yeah, caught stealing is correct in the box.

3. greenlantern

greenlantern Guest

Thanks for the help.

4. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

It's only caught stealing if the runner heads for the next base. If he's out just diving back to the bag, it's not mentioned in the box.

5. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Correct. And I'm SHOCKED!!!! that buckweaver didn't get this right!

Ladies and gentlemen, the Apocalypse is upon us ... there's something about baseball that buckdubs got WRONG!!!!

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

None of the Black Sox must have ever been picked off!

7. This is like finding out there's no Santa Claus.

8. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Or Stevie Nicks doesn't actually Twitter.

9. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

No.

If a runner is picked off trying to return to the bag, it's a pickoff. It's only a caught stealing if he/she makes an attempt to advance.

I do it at the end of the place where E, XBH, SB, CS, S, and SF go: PO -- Smith at first (by Jones). Kind of like an outfield assist.

10. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Buck: I appreciate the head's up, but if that's not safe for work, boy, we got problems. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted