1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pick your team ... but only one team

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bubbler, Aug 1, 2012.

1. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

Broncos

2. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

The Boston Bruins.

Love hockey. Been a Bruins fan since I knew what a puck was. The 2011 playoffs was one of the most fun two-month stretches of my life.

I follow a lot of sports, but the B's have been at the top of the heap for a long time.

3. turski7

turski7 Member

Denver Broncos. I have a man crush on John Elway and yes, he does look like a horse. It will be awesome to watch him pound Coors Light in the exec box as Manning tramples Timmy's memory.
    I cried when they were blown out in the Super Bowl's in 80's and cried when they won in 98.

4. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Love the USMNT (soccer), but they're just edged out by the Red Sox.

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Yankees.

6. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Oregon football.

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Actually, it came from Deion himself, not from the fans. It was a tribute to his alma mater. This is a very well-known story in Braves circles.

Deion had been doing the chop all season and some fans had picked it up, but the phenomenon really took hold on July 31, 1991 — Deion's last game with the Braves before he had to leave for Falcons training camp. He went out with a bang, hitting a dramatic 3-run home run as the Braves rallied from a 6-1 deficit to win 8-6 and finish a four-game sweep of the first-place Pirates. Upon exiting the game in the 7th inning as part of a double switch, Deion did a tomahawk chop as he jogged off the field. The fans gave him a standing ovation. The Braves game ops crew brilliantly took Deion's cue and began playing the traditional Florida State chant music over the PA speakers as he stood at the dugout waving to the fans, and they all started doing the chop, too.

By the time the homestand was over, the Braves were just 1.5 games behind the Dodgers after being 9.5 games back at the All-Star break. Fans continued doing the Chop as the pennant race heated up, and it made Fulton County Stadium an especially intimidating ballpark for opponents. In late September, Deion received special permission from the Falcons to rejoin the team (although he wasn't eligible for the postseason roster) to replace Otis Nixon, who was suspended 60 days for failing a drug test. The Chop got national attention in the World Series and it's been associated with the Braves ever since.

EDIT: I see where MLB.com produced this video in which two FSU fans took credit for starting the Chop for Deion during spring training and on Opening Day 1991, and how it became a big thing. But the fact is, fans weren't paying much attention to the Braves in the first half of 1991, when they were struggling to stay over .500. Only 18K were there for Opening Day and they didn't draw 30K in a single home game until May 3. They didn't hit the 40K mark until June 21. So, no, the Chop was not a "thing" that early in the season. It didn't really catch on until Deion himself did it on July 31.

8. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

I'm spending a weekend in Denver and ran into a guy from Atlanta. His first word when discovering we were from Tallahassee and Noles fans were "Oh, the chop. Deion. We stole that from you."

It's quite well known, too, that plenty of Tallahassee residents go to Braves games, and there are tons of Georgia natives who are also FSU fans. (Enough, I recently learned, that the state of Georgia now offers Florida State specialty license tags.)

9. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Through good times and bad, there is still only one possible response...

WHODAT!

... and Roger Goodell can go f*$# himself.

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Oh, I don't dispute either of those statements. The Braves certainly did "steal" it from FSU; it was the Seminoles' chant first and always. And there are tons of Braves fans all along the Redneck Riviera (as well as plenty of FSU fans in south Georgia.)

11. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

The Washington Generals.

The Washington Redskins.

Draft saved Draft deleted