1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pick what you would do here

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Babs, Sep 16, 2008.

1. Babs

Babs Member

Situation: a journalism student that I know in passing, not well, was hired as an intern by a team I cover. Intern emailed me recently to ask what I know about a player they have just signed (and not announced!). Now, I already had a sniff that they were going to sign said player, so he just confirmed what I suspected. As far as I'm concerned, he has made a mistake by mentioning this to me, and I do not plan to get him in trouble, however, I think I have the right to follow up on the signing with management (I had a right before to do that, nothing changes with this email.) So, do I...

Call management and ask them to confirm/deny the signing
    Reply to intern nicely that they should find the information internally and not ask reporters (not leak)
    Ignore email - do not respond
    All or some combination of above

2. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

A and B. You still need to do your job, but a little advice for the intern couldn't hurt.

3. awriter

awriter Active Member

I would definitely do A. As for B, I guess if I were nice I'd do that, too. But the devil inside says, "Why discourage someone from leaking info?"

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

A and B. Or at least say "You do realize by asking me, you gave away information that was not there for public consumption?" Then if the intern says 'Yeah' you know you can get info from that intern in the future. :D

5. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

Yep. Also, I agree you'd be a great mod.

FUCKITY FUCK BALLS, IJAG FOR MODERATOR!

6. imjustagirl

I'm going to need you to insert a demonstrative curse word to start that sentence, please. Piotr has set the bar quite high.

7. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

Done and done.

8. imjustagirl

See, Webby? Junior members listen to me.

9. imjustagirl

No I don't.

10. imjustagirl

See, I'm cutting down on my cursing...but I can have minions other posters take over the role.

11. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

We really should stop cursing. It's one of the reasons this board is dying.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Well fuckity fuck fuck fuck...I thought it was the end to free bagels...

Draft saved Draft deleted