1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pick a presser: Saban or Belichik?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Dec 3, 2015.

1. Would you rather cover a Nick Saban or Bill Belichik press conference?
    Both guys seem like Grade A dicks at the podium.

This week Saban referred questions about Kirby Smart to UGA to his soda bottle.
    Belichik ... he was typical when asked about the turnaround in sharing information on Gronk's injury.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I find Belichick wildly entertaining, with the smirk that shows that at heart he's above it all.

Mr. Sunshine likes this.
  3. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Belichick will give good answers to technical football questions.

4. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

This. I don't know a lot about Saban pressers, but you can get some amazing insight from Belichick.
    I'll try to remember to look for it later but he gave an answer a couple weeks ago that was an amazing insight into the coaching thought processes. It might have been about the strategy that goes into scripting plays at the beginning of the game, but I don't entirely recall. Didn't hear it, but read through the transcription and it was a great read.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Belichick will talk football in general until your ears bleed. One Friday, he even brought in old black and white films of 1940 football to make a point. Saban remains the only coach I've ever covered after a game who was completely pissed at the world after a win.

6. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

I'd pick Saban just for his propensity to get pissed off. I've never covered either, but it seems like Belichick doesn't get pissed off. He just ignores you. There's no fun in that. Saban is on a hair trigger. You never know what question is going to set him off and force him to refer you to an inantimate object. That's hilarious.

7. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Nick Saban gets mad at the words coming out of Nick Saban's mouth. That's braggable.

8. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Saban by far. Yeah, he gets mad, pissed off, honked at the world. Belichick just stands there and delivers his answers in a monotone.

9. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Belichick held court on the evolution of the holding position last season.
    As with many autists, if you steer the conversation into his comfort zone he will talk endlessly.

10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I remember one time listening to his weekly radio show. It was Army-Navy week, so the host asked Belichick about it. He went on for five minutes about historic games in the series in the 1950s and 1960s, etc. Get him going and he can be a great quote. As evidenced by his offhand knowledge mentioned above, he has a photographic memory.

11. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Very early in my career, I stood there slack-jawed as Ray Perkins and Rick Cleveland got into a shouting match over a question Rick had asked in a post-game interview. And that was after Bobby Humphrey ran for about a gazillion yards and eleventy-million touchdowns against Mississippi State in a blowout win.

12. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Didn't his dad coach at Navy?

Draft saved Draft deleted