1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pica poles?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Colton, May 19, 2007.

1. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Who do you work for, Gutenburg?

2. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I went to yearbook camp, where I learned a pica cheer.

I never had a pica pole, but I still have my pica triangle from said yearbook camp. It was plastic and transparent, so you could see what you were measuring and draw straight corners.

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

JRC, CNHI or Ogden?

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

So this one time, at yearbook camp ...

(Yearbook camp? There is such a thing? Thank God I never hung with the in crowd until the 20-year reunion.)

5. :D

6. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

I actually still use it for measuring type sometimes, when I'm setting up new products.

I don't use my proportion wheel anymore, but it's still in my desk drawer.

7. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Newhouse/Advance

8. Rambler

Rambler Member

How many of us used the photo wheel? I hated that thing. At some point I would just start guessing.

9. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

That photo wheel might have been the death of me had I not left an unpaginated paper in 2000. Still have my pica pole.

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Somewhere in my cartons of stuff from my previous stops, I have two 12"s and an 18".

The 18" was good for newsroom recreations of the Darth Vader/Obi-Wan Kenobi duel.

Whoooommmmm..... whooooommmm....ZZZZZTTT!!

11. Colton

Colton Active Member

I still have both the photo wheel AND the color wheel.

We went from cut-and-paste to pagination for only one reason -- the same reason every CNHI (gag) paper did — fear of Y2K.

I laughed my ass off sitting here watching as the clock ticked past midnight here. I was the only one in the building. We had a 9 p.m. press time that day because the big wigs were terrified we wouldn't be able to get their ads...er, the paper, out on the newstands the next morning.

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

No, I'm just happy to see you.

Draft saved Draft deleted