1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Piano Man: Should I go?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Idaho, Oct 3, 2007.

?

I have the opportunity to buy REALLY good seats for Billy Joel in concert. Should I go?

1. Yes

30 vote(s)
    85.7%
  2. No

2 vote(s)
    5.7%
  3. Scalp 'em

3 vote(s)
    8.6%
  1. markvid

markvid Guest

Saw Genesis in Three Rivers in 1986, Paul Young opened.
    Paul was very underrated, in my humble musical opinion.

For those of you who have seen Joel live (I never have), but I always would have liked to see Joel's drummer Liberty DeVito and Max Weinberg go at it.
    That alone would be something I'd pay to hear.

2. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

Yeah, got to go if you can.

Billy can't always hit the high notes anymore, but he's usually got a kick-ass band behind him, and he puts on an energetic show.

I saw his show two nights in a row once, and they were outstanding.

3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

What is it with you guys who have seen Genesis in concert? A great void still in my life musically has yet to be fulfilled.

And for a drummer matchup, I'll take Phil Collins (Genesis stuff, not solo) vs. Neil Peart. Yes, Peart is the better technical drummer. But PC is more flexible to different styles and tempos.

4. markvid

markvid Guest

What is it with you guys who have Genesis?

What do you mean, Sam?

5. Sam Mills 51

Other than I'm a grammatical idiot, I have no clue. :) Thanks for pointing that out.

6. markvid

markvid Guest

Oh, I see now...
    Well, they are on tour now, give it a shot if you can.

7. Sam Mills 51

I know they're on tour. Nothing would please me more, but obligations may get in the way. Stay Tuned ...

8. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

I never really thought Neil Peart and Rush were anything more than some good background noise once in a while.

But that's just me.

9. Stone Cane

Stone Cane Member

Billy Joel hasn't written a good song in 25 years

why would you want to see him? unless you're into oldies acts or nostalgia.

we didn't start the fire may be the worst song ever written

10. I went to see him when he was touring for The Bridge. Crappy album. But it was also the last tour he did with the full band he had on the albums when he was a hit machine. He played in the round and I had seats about eight rows up on the backside of the stage. He had a piano or electric piano at each corner of the stage and played to all sides of the house. The show was about 2-2 1/2 hours of one hit after another. The guy put on one fantastic show. The two things I most remember about the show:
    -The stage monitors were below stage level [which seemed really cool at the time as I had never seen another band that did that] and Mr. William Joel ran and jumped around like a coke-fueled pogo stick. Which, based on the era, was probably not far from the truth.
    -I found out a few days after the concert that he had broken his ankle within the two concerts prior to the one I went to. You would never have guessed he was playing hurt based on his performance.

Draft saved Draft deleted