1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Photoshop/Vista question

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by slappy4428, Aug 26, 2007.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Couldn't find this on Adobe site and was looking for help.
    Ms. Slappy bought a new computer this week (a Dell, just to drive BYH batty) and I tried installing Photoshop 5.5 on it.
    It installed fine, but locked up when I went to run it. It got as far as loading plugins and locked. When I clicked on the window, there was a message (but not an error message) saying the program had to quit. -- and it did. Right away.
    Anyone know if 5.5 is Vista-compatible; and if it isn't, what's the oldest version that is?
    All she's got on the puter is Windows Paint or Windows Pictures or whatever the hell it is and it sucks for adjusting size, pixels... any minor photo editing.

2. audreyld

audreyld Guest

Slappy,

The news, by and large, isn't good.

Adobe offers no official support for anything other than CS3, and only unofficial support for CS2. Online reports indicate no one's really been able to get anything to work properly on Vista.

Here are a couple of (not really good) options. I'll keep looking.

Right Click on the Photoshop executable, select 'Compatibility' and then 'Run this program in Compatibility mode for:', and select Windows XP2 SP2.

Another alternative is to run Photoshop 7 in a virtual machine. Microsoft VPC2007 is free and so is VMWare Virtual Server. The drawback, however, is you need a licensed copy of the guest OS (XP SP2), a fast CPU and copious amounts of ram to get reasonable performance.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I forgot all about compatability mode... you're a doll, doll [/cue mickey spillane in a miller lite commercial]

4. audreyld

audreyld Guest

Let me know if it works.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Well... we'll see. If it was me, there's no problem... Trying to walk Ms. Slappy through it is an entirely different way of flying...

Draft saved Draft deleted