1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Photoshop Rules

Discussion in 'Design Discussion' started by amraeder, May 30, 2007.

1. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

I'm pretty new in the business and was wondering what the rules are at other shops.
    Anyway, I was trying to do some fancy photoshop work for main art for a state soccer preview in today's section. I'm filling in on the desk for my boss who has the day off, and apparently he didn't know until recently that we were going to have a preview. So I'm stuck with old art. The plan was just to go to old photos, get some cut outs of players from the two teams from the area going to states, throw them on a dramatic background, maybe add some text, bada-bing, bada-boom.
    Well, I got yelled at by the photogs for this.
    Apparently we're not allowed to touch a photo with photoshop unless it's for the cover of a special section, and only then with the permission of the ME. So I'm kinda SOL.
    Just wondering if this is unique to here, or if it's pretty standard practice. I know some of the designs I see in here seem to involve some photoshop work, so I was wondering what the rules at your shops are.

Anyway, thanks.

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I've worked at places where photogs guarded photos with their lives, and at places where photogs didn't give a shit as long as you asked them first. Sounds like you're pretty much fucked.

3. amraeder

Oh, yeah. Sounds like I'm falling into the fucked category. The phtogs thing was that if I were allowed to do it, their jobs would go by the wayside and it'd just be computer wizes who filled their spots. Seemed like a pretty lame argument to be, but what do I know? So I figured I'd see how other shops did it.
    I appreciate the feed back.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

tell the photogs to eat dick.

company owns their photos just as it owns writers' stories.

check with the photogs first ... shiiiiiit.

5. brian griffin

brian griffin Member

Anyone ever notice that newspapers are the only publications that still fall under the "you can't touch photos" rules?

You telling me that a photographer at ESPN magazine, SI, SportingNews, or any other magazine would have the balls to tell an art director at their magazine they can't crop, cutout, put type on, or do any other photoshop trick to their photo? Last time I checked, most photags at magazines have their photos messed with all the time.

6. VJ

VJ Member

Bingo. If you don't really know what you're doing I would obviously lean on the side of caution, but for a photog to tell you that you need permission to do a cutout or anything in Photoshop is absurd. Do copy editors need permission from the writers to make an edit to their story?

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

This might sound crass, but I do with photos whatever the hell I deem fit for the story or package, etc. If the integrity of a photo demands it be left alone, then I'll leave it alone. If you go to the page I uploaded today, I ran text over a dark (left side) portion of the Gwen Stefani story; the headline for "big" also bled into the photo; in my mind, it worked. I'm the Quarkmaster here, and that's the bottom line. But, if a photog asks (they rarely do here) to run a photo clean of copy I will abide by his request.

8. amraeder

It just seems like I'll have to get used to not having any fun here. It really hurt my package too, because I didn't have any photos that really worked. It was really disappointing, but what can ya do. Oh well...

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

after my initial response, here's another thought that worked its way into my head: why don't you ask your direct boss why the rule is in place? i'm guessing he probably can't be trusted with photos and that maybe the rule is in place for a reason.

10. What does that mean? Are they like standing in front of the Grand Canyon, Niagara Falls, what?

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

whitlock.

12. That's not an unusual rule.

Most newsrooms act that way because too many people (possibly you) dive into a photoshop centerpiece and think they're Warhol all of a sudden. Honestly, even experienced designers need time to make a nice illustration.

Your best bet is to plan ahead and practice these ideas, showing them to your bosses before the fact. And if you are messing with a staff photog's work, you need permission. Not necessarily from him/her, but at least from an editor.

Draft saved Draft deleted