1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Photogs refuse to sign consent form at prep event; papers don't shoot event

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Johnny Dangerously, Feb 27, 2007.

1. scribe21

scribe21 Member

Got a letter from KHSAA this week on tourney and it says use of photos to sell, etc is prohibited (KHSAA). I know the Ky Press Association is looking into it right now as we speak

2. Central-KY-Kid

Central-KY-Kid Well-Known Member

The KPA sent out a two-page letter about the situation.

I know freelance_hack got a copy of it.

3. grrlhack

grrlhack Member

The crux of the matter, as I see it, is the LHSAA is trying to determine that a Web-site is not an "official" part of a newspaper. It's just as viable a part as the print product. We have started to make extensive use of photo galleries online at my newspaper. And Ike, that comment about "unworthy" is crap. Our photographers end up with 9-10 really good photos per event. Just because we only had room for one or maybe two in dwindling sections, doesn't mean we don't want to serve our readers better by offering them more.

As for the money portion of it, newspapers have just as much of a right to recoup their expenses by charging for things as any other business. And yes, even to make a small profit. I believe we go with a company that handles reprints for us because we also have the coffee mugs, etc. Nobody is lining up to buy these pictures other than family anyway.
    I don't know if we do it this way or not, but I liked the idea of selling download access for a few pesos. Less reprinting work and people leave happy.
    As far as the two state associations we deal with (we're located near the stateline and cover two states), I can't recall this being a factor.
    Oh, and while football doesn't generate the big crowds around here, basketball and baseball do. And there's a certain high school football game that packs out a 15,000 capacity stadium (no, that's not huge, but not bad) with about 20,000 folks every year. Of course, the rest of the time, you can hand count some games and some games generate a couple thousand. Preps are still huge in our area.

4. scribe21

scribe21 Member

KHSAA (Kentucky) rule limits to freelance photogs and not newspapers. ... Word I got today!

5. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Aha ... give in to those with big law firms on retainer -- and who buy ink by the gallon and paper by the ton -- and squeeze out the little guy (or gal). Got it.

6. NX

NX Member

The Iowa Newspaper Association is fighting the Iowa High School Athletic Association on this too, and, in fact, has used this site in part of its research. One newspaper in the state sidestepped the ban by running a page of 33 photos from the state wrestling tournament titled "Emotion. Passion. Dedication." showing the many faces of wrestlers, coaches and cheerleaders.

It may be too little, too late for basketball and wrestling, but there is a meeting between the INA delegation and the IHSAA in April.

7. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

One interesting thought to note...

Some people have suggested with the idea that they're uncomfortable with newspapers using extra photos as a source of additional revenue.

But what about the athletic associations? Isn't their job to represent and manage statewide athletic events like this? Certainly we're not thinking they are a money-making organization.

Double standard? Sounds like one to me.

Draft saved Draft deleted