1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Photographers as Artists,

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by dkphxf, Mar 12, 2011.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Other than the capital-A 'art' vs 'Art' misunderstanding, what we see on this thread is the usual us vs them nonsense.

How many reporters here actually bother to tell the photographer what they want or need? If those needs change during a game, how many reporters go back to the photographer and specify the change?

Never sure why reporters don't take more time to talk to the photographers. Every story is better when the writer and the shooter are working toward a common goal.

2. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I agree. I've worked with some outstanding shooters who appreciate the kind of teamwork you described. It doesn't always yield a home run, but generally things work out better.

3. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Your photog attempting to actually do the journalism part of his job and get photos of things/people that may actually be most pertinent to the game or story makes you angry?

It isn't only/always about what's "the best shot." Sometimes -- most times -- it matters who the photo is of, and having it coordinated with the story makes sense.

I once did a feature story on a soccer player collecting sports-related stuff at her school for a charity. There was a station just inside the locker room where the stuff was being gathered and I wanted a photographer to walk 50 yards off the field and get a feature shot before a game of the player either handling some stuff if/when somebody dropped things off, or, if that didn't happen at the time, just to get a portrait of her there.

Probably not a great, award-winning shot, or anything, of course. But, it would have gone with the story.

Well, the photog refused to leave his perch on the sidelines at the game to go do anything other than an action shot, and that's what ran with my story...despite the fact that the story included virtually nothing with regard to the game except, literally, a line with the score/result in it, and despite the fact that the girl didn't happen to do anything of note in the game, either.

4. MartinonMTV2

MartinonMTV2 New Member

If he refused to do what you asked, you should have pushed for consequences, if possible.

But your request is one that photographers are going to dislike. They are generally against static shots or dull ones like someone standing next to a stack of equipment.

5. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

Yeah, it's not artistic enough. Who cares about the story?[/bluefont]

6. MartinonMTV2

MartinonMTV2 New Member

Photographers, if it's an assignment like that.

Just keeping it real. I once took about 60-70 mug shots myself because the photo dept. was out chasing art. They still had to process the photos. Of the 60-70, one guy blinked. The dept. dared to lecture about taking multiple shots. I went back and reshot -- problem solved.

That dept. is going to bitch. The sooner you realize it, the better.

7. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

No, I realize it. I just needed to vent. :)

8. trench

trench Member

No question, way too many newspaper photographers see no difference between photography and photojournalism.
    For many of them that I've dealt with, they're worried about things that affect how the pic would look in a frame, and not a damned bit about how well it complements what it being written or how it fits into a larger package to serve the reader whose subscription helps pay their bills.
    There were some times when I was much younger that I said nothing when a photog needed to be reminded they worked for a newspaper, not a museum. If I could go back now, I'd definitely let them know it.

9. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Fun thread idea: Photographers as Artests.

Draft saved Draft deleted