1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

PHOTO: The last second of life

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Dec 4, 2012.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I've never understood why subway/train platforms aren't built with an overhang that would allow someone who falls on the tracks to roll under it if they can't get back onto the platform in time.

2. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

Honestly, being in so many subway stations in the nine months I have lived here, I am surprised more people don't fall over the ledge. People walk with their heads down, texting, playing games on their phones, I am always paying attention when I ride the train.

3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

And it's a deep enough spot where it will be damn hard to get any leverage without putting yourself at a massive risk of falling in with him.

It reminded me of my cousin, who was a beach lifeguard in Southern California for a while. If you are rescuing someone and he grabs onto you, they train you to dive down underwater so the victim will let go. Otherwise, both of you are going to drown.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Photog: Pay me, bitches.

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/national/2012/12/posts-subway-photographer-will-only-talk-you-money/59642/

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Some platforms are, some are not. I'd imagine the age of the station would come into play as well.

And I'm sure it's instinctual to try to get on the platform, but I also wonder why someone doesn't just go onto the other set of tracks if a train's coming.

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

The tracks are often separated by a wall. And you'd have to climb across the third rail.

7. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

I hate people.

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

The NYT talks to the photographer, who asserts the victim was on the track 10 or fifteen seconds.

www.nytimes.com/2012/12/05/nyregion/suspect-in-fatal-subway-push-is-in-custody.html?pagewanted=1&hp

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

To your question. ... When you ride the subway, you get used to panhandlers who are aggressive, and mentally ill people that need to be getting help and aren't. So it isn't really a question of what kind of person pushes a man onto a subway track. There are some messed up people who make their home down there. If you got a sense of some of the homeless people straphangers see on the subway every day--many of them obviously mentally unstable--you'd understand.

The worst interaction I had was a year or two ago. I am not a suit and tie guy, but I was spending a lot of time at an office where the uniform was really button down, so I was riding the subway home during rush hour in a conservative-looking suit. It was a really crowded subway car, everyone minding their own business, and for no reason a loudmouth guy who looked raggedy, and may have been mentally ill (and was definitely on something) decided to just start shit--ranting aggressively. I can't remember most of what he was going on about. But then he just turned his attention to me--for no reason; honest. Him black and looking ragged. Me white and in a suit. So I turned into the target for whatever he was angry about. I was trying to not even make eye contact with him. I had about a 15 to 20 minute ride, and the car was packed with people standing, so I couldn't just walk away from him without getting off the subway before my stop. When he turned his attention to me, I was just trying not to make eye contact with him, but all of a sudden I had this guy a few feet away from me yelling at me and cursing up a storm and insulting me. Over and over again. And it just wouldn't end. It seemed like an eternity and I was really uncomfortable, but just trying to stay quiet, not make eye contact and get to my stop. He was going on and on and everyone was just trying not to look. That really uncomfortable, "Looking down at their phone or newspaper" thing. I can't remember exactly what he was saying, but I was definitely a problem for him, and when he pointed at me, presumably because I was wearing a suit, and said something about how "there are two Americas," I did the stupidest thing. Rather than just staying quiet, I had had enough and I said, "Yeah, two Americas. One with with assholes like you and one with with the rest of us." That just ratcheted him up.

When it was time for me to get off the subway, I had this sixth sense that something bad was going to happen. I was extra alert. It was a crowd of people getting off, but within a few seconds of stepping onto the platform, I had this feeling he was behind me. I turned, and there he was winding up to throw a punch. Except it was like in slow motion. He was drunk or on something and I saw it coming from a mile away and just ducked under it. And then instinct took over and I came back with an uppercut into his gut. I don't know how to fight, and if you asked me to duplicate the whole thing, I couldn't. So in that regard, afterward I felt about as manly as I ever have. I got him square in that part of the gut that knocks the wind out of you, and he went right down.

My heart was beating really fast, and I was just standing there kind of shocked about the whole thing. Luckily a woman (black woman, by the way) who had been near me on the subway car and watching the whole thing, grabbed me by the arm, and just told me to walk with her and pushed me away and walked me out of there. She kept saying, "Just walk away," over and over again.

I know that is a long way from an angry -- probably mentally ill -- guy throwing you on the tracks, but you just never know who you are dealing with on the subway. 99.9 percent of the time it is a perfectly safe experience. But you do need to keep your sensors up, and if I could do things over again, I would have just gotten off the subway at the next stop and waited for the next train.

10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

That could have been any number of SportsJournalists.com posters, Ragu. Upset about your stance on gold or something.

11. 3OctaveFart

3OctaveFart Guest

I live in a large city and have never seen "aggressive" panhandlers.

12. one of the comments

Oh, shit . . . is that all they needed to do? Coordinate a rescue effort between three people. one dazed and panicked, all within seconds of a subway train that is barreling down on you and a madman who just pushed this guy on the tracks. Yea, it's so simple now that I think about it.

Draft saved Draft deleted