1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

PHOTO: The last second of life

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Dec 4, 2012.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Seems so callous to me to say, "Too bad, so sad" to a potential suicide.

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Uh...not necessarily.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

The fear of being pushed from the platform is something all subway-riding New Yorkers share. So the photo isn't merely gory or titillating, it's cautionary. Good argument can be made to run it.

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Only this wasn't a suicide.

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I think the calculus of trying to save someone on the tracks is always the same: how far away from the station is the next train? It's a practical differentiation, not a moral one.

6. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

This case also calls up memories of the Andrew Goldstein case.

http://articles.nydailynews.com/2000-05-05/news/18137528_1_kendra-webdale-mentally-andrew-goldstein

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

First and foremost you guys are correct: I do not know that for fact.

Just trying to look at that photo and gauge the possibilities with the fact that he did snap his flash (who knows how many times).

I am in no way blaming the photog. But I do wonder how many times he triggered the flash and how many seconds that added up to and if he at all wondered about running to the edge. Would I run to the edge? It all depends on the timing. If I thought the train was 5 to 10 seconds away, yes. But if that train is 1 second away there's nothing I -- or anyone -- could have done.

Interesting that no one is in that vicinity but you have that huge crowd in the yonder waiting for the train to stop.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I could not life the live weight of someone from that height who was not trying as well.

9. Songbird

Yes. My fear would be that the guy struggles as you're struggling to pull him up but he ends up pulling you down to the tracks and then two people are dead.

10. Songbird

Speaking of the cover:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Arriving or starting would give me an idea of the speed of the train. They might be able to stop if the train was coming from a stop, but going to a stop, I don't think they can stop short so quickly.

If he was trying to get up, I would try to help him. I would also be very careful not to loose my arms in the process and be sure he did not pull me down...

Ugh... I just thought about the person pulling me down.

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

It's nearly impossible in NYC to get hit by a subway leaving a station.

But depending on the line, a train will enter the station at +/- 25 mph.

Draft saved Draft deleted