1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Photo sales

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Platyrhynchos, Sep 6, 2007.

1. Platyrhynchos

Platyrhynchos Active Member

When your shop sells a foto, does the photog get a percentage or does the shop keep it all?

Just curious.

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Depends on the shop, but usually the photog gets a percentage.

3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Our photogs get a percentage.

4. audreyld

audreyld Guest

Last place, the shop got it all.

5. Platyrhynchos

Platyrhynchos Active Member

My last place, I got 50 percent.

This place, not a dime.

6. chazp

chazp Active Member

I was at a weekly, where the photog got all of the money. The publisher didn't care about the money.

7. Taylee

Taylee Member

At our place it all goes to the company, although it's been suggested that the photog get a percentage. However, it never has happened, and probably never will, I guess because the company buys all camera equipment and the photogs use it for personal use, too.

8. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

I can't believe I read this about a newspaper publisher.

9. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

At our rag, if you're on staff the house gets the money. Freelance? All yours.

10. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

I think in ours, the shooter gets 75 percent, although now they use an outside service for many reprints. I'm not sure the photographer gets any. My last place used the same outside service, and the photogs didn't get anything.

11. chazp

chazp Active Member

Well she said the company's policy was that the photog came in a certain amount and the company didn't give raises, ever. So she felt the photog could make some money on the side. (Not a large amount I'm told, a few hundred each year.)

12. Canuck Pappy

Canuck Pappy Member

Don't get a dime, which is sad because at $14x44 photos so far this year that would be about $500 that would go in my pocket. Instead it helps the publisher look good on his bottom line.
    Last year I had close to 75 photos bought.

Draft saved Draft deleted