1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Photo retrospective of the NYC Subway system

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by imjustagirl, Oct 22, 2010.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

That's really cool. Would love to see some color shots of the 70s-era graffiti cars though.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

To answer the last question. The cards expire, but if you ask them to roll the money over they will. Actually, just saw Azrael answered that early. Noticed as I was typing this. Sorry.

For all your trips to NY, I am surprised you haven't gotten to know the subway system. I live by it. It gets you anywhere, does it inexpensively, and it is VERY often quicker by subway that it is by cab --not to mention a tenth of the price by subway.

My only compliant is the weekend service the last year or so. They are constantly doing work, the Broadway/Nassau station, where a lot of transfers can take place in lower Manhattan has been a mess and the trains run way too infrequently at times. It is partially due to upgrades, but unfortunately, a lot of it has to do with the budget cuts.

Next time you and the Queen are here, please use the subway to get somewhere. You'll see how easy and inexpensive it is and hopefully get hooked. Plus, you can buy a a-day, 7-day, 14-day or monthly unlimited card. I am currently working for one of my client's on site, so with my unlimited monthly card, including the other times I use (other than to get to and from their office) during the week and weekends, I would bet my average fare for the month between buses (sometimes hop them crosstown) and subway is going to be around $2, maybe a little less. It really is the best deal on earth. I am all over the city and use the hell out of the system.

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Only caveat I have to Ragu's is that in the summer, it gets hot as bloody hell underground,
    and by the time the air-conditioned car finally arrives, you're already cooked.

4. ThomsonONE

ThomsonONE Member

The $2.25 fare is a real bargain. I arrived in London today and a one way off peak tube fare in central London is 4.00 pounds, more than $6.00.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Great point. Waiting for the subway in a heat wave is brutal, especially when the platform is crowded. Sweat pours out every pore in your body.

You still just kind of deal with it.

My subway story from this morning. A bit boring, maybe, but it was different for me, because usually I barely acknowledge people, even when they are being assholes. Despite what people would guess from how I am on here, I am pretty mild mannered -- I think. I had to be somewhere at 8 am for a conference call, but first wanted to hit the gym. I got in my workout, but was pushing things tight. I was also carrying a lot of stuff.

The subway stop is right near my gym. As I was trying to get to the turnstile, a young woman carrying a huge duffel bag that was taking up a ton of space was blocking my way and she was moving slowly. I thought I had enough space to slip by her, but I accidentally bumped her--I didn't knock her over or anything. Just bumped her slightly. I immediately turned my head (even though I kept walking, because I was in a rush) and said, "Excuse me. I am sorry about that."

She said something snarky -- I didn't catch it, but I did hear the tone of her voice. So, untrue to my usual character, I stopped, turned and did a giant "Excuse me?" She said a few choice things, but the gist was: "You didn't have to push me out of the way." My response was, "I didn't push you. I bumped you. And did it ever occur to you that it was an ACCIDENT!? Which was why I apologized?" She said, "I didn't hear you." And we went on our way.

I don't know why it got to me. I was riding an endorphin high, but was also a bit stressed about running late, I guess.

6. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Isn't this just the kind of "thinking" that got Brett Favre in trouble?

7. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Those 70s photos took me back. And we kids would gladly hop on those things, and our parents were fine with it, to ride the 7 out to Shea.

8. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Thanks, IJAG. Great stuff. Thanks for pointing it out.

Along the same lines, for those of us who love this stuff, I caught a great documentary on Grand Central Terminal a couple of years ago, on NatGeo, I think. Two hours long, and fantastically interesting.

9. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Going up to $2.50 at the end of 2010. But, speaking as a daily subway rider, still a great bargain.

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Can you get from LaGuardia to Times Square on the train? Train doesn't go to LaG does it?

11. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

You're better off on the bus from LaGuardia to midtown. You can get a train from Newark and JFK to midtown.

12. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

As someone who once lived (briefly) in NY for a job, I loved the photo show. Rats, flipping-out druggies, crowding, horrible heat and stench in the summer ... all part of the charm. When I was back there for work a few years ago, took the E to the 7 to get to Shea. Brought back some fantastic memories.

Draft saved Draft deleted