1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Photo retrospective of the NYC Subway system

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by imjustagirl, Oct 22, 2010.

1. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Very, very cool. Thanks for posting this.

2. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Very cool. The graffiti pictures are always amazing.

But not enough pictures of rats. Two days ago, 12:30 a.m, 191st Street station, A train, uptown side. I'm the only one there. Me and a rat that comes from behind a bench, darts past me about two feet away and goes up the god damn steps - hurdles them, if you will, like Edwin Moses - toward the turnstile.

A train didn't come for 20 minutes and the whole time I was saying outloud, "Aagh. Ugh. God. Christ. No. God. Yuck."

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I won't be clicking on the link now. Thanks for the heads-up.

4. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Worst part was he had a MetroCard.

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Some friends and I went to a Yankee game and a Met game in the same weekend (and did tons of sightseeing) a few years ago, so we wore out the subway system for a few days. At one point we had to go all the way to the bottom of Grand Central to catch the train to The Bronx, and as we stood there watching the rats run along the tracks however many feet below ground, all I could think was:

"Damn, I'm glad I wasn't the poor bastard who had to dig this hole."

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Cool retrospective. Looking back at those photos now, those graffiti on the train photos look depressing.

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

MysteryMeat (the original, not the weak-ass copycat guy) were in one of the stations late one night and saw a rat large enough to ride. Holy shit, that thing was superhuman. Thankfully, it stayed down by the garbage can rather than running past us.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Thanks for that Ijag. We just loved looking through those photos. I have so many thoughts. Here are a few.

1) Things haven't changed that much! There is actually a transit museum in New York City (in Brooklyn) that is really cool. I took my 10-year-old nephew there last year. It's in a since-abandoned subway stop, and they have old trains. There have been "innovations" but the subways (not elevated cars) they were using in the early 1900s are not significantly different than they are today. Things like air conditioning, automatic doors, LED signs, etc. have been added.

2) I have such vivid memories of the graffiti from when I was a kid. It's amazing how much cleaner things are now.

3) Some of the older cars bring back memories. What is amazing is that on some of the lines there are still 20 or 30 year old cars in commission. They have slowly been upgrading each line, though. The 4,5,6 on the east side and 1,2,3 on the west side have newer cars. It was neat seeing one of the old red 6 train cars in one of the photos. Those were still running until a few years ago. The one major line that needs a massive upgrade is the A, C, E -- the cars are older than Spnited. I have read there are plans to upgrade soon and they have have started introducing new cars with the electronic signs, etc. on the E line already.

4) It wasn't covered in those pictures, but they have been introducing cameras on the subway cars. A handful of E trains already have them operational. They are hoping to have a live system to catch crime happening.

5) I got a kick out of the woman in the 70s who was ducking the turnstile while a cop was standing nearby with his back to here -- because they raised the fair from 20 cents to 30 cents. Today it is $2.25. It is still the best deal on earth.

6) They showed them digging the new 2nd Ave. line. It will help so much on the east side, which is only serviced by the 4,5 and 6, which are overcrowded. It has caused so much disruption for business, but it looked cool. It said they have been getting through just 50 feet of rock a day to just get the tunnel going. With the maze of wires and sewer pipes down there, it must be a logistical nightmare. But from what I can see from street level, I think they have been making progress.

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

True story. I was telling someone last night it's SO much better than the Metro in DC, where what you pay is depending on how far you ride. $2.25 and I can go ANYWHERE in NYC I want to go? Yes, please.

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

With all our trips to NY, we've never done much on the subway. The Queen is not a fan of trains, underground or the possibility of seeing a rat. We did take it once to Shea and it was fine, so I'm hoping on our next trip - whenever that turns out to be - we take better advantage.

We'll see.

That trip to Shea was four years ago. I still have the fare cards, with value. Are they still good?

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

That's great. I love New York, almost obsessively.
    My father, born and raised in the south Bronx, always points out that our little piece of the family got out, that's why I can afford to romanticize the city.
    I'll forward the link to my sister, who can show the photos to our parents.
    They're pretty old, so they'll probably tear up in the beginning and then make racist remarks about Puerto Ricans when they see the graffiti.
    South Bronx Irish.

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Cards expire, but balances can be rolled over to new cards. Not sure what the time limit on that might be; and a station agent has to do it. Try one of the windows at Union Square.

Draft saved Draft deleted