1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Photo of the drowned Syrian boy, run it or don't run it?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by YankeeFan, Sep 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

News is often shocking.

A space shuttle exploding? Shocking.

A man jumping from the Twin Towers to his death during 9/11? Shocking.

Hundreds of homes reduced to toothpicks after a tornado or hurricane? Shocking.

They don't "distract" from the story. They TELL the story. That's our job. You run the photo.

2. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

3. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

4. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

YankeeFan and Vombatus like this.
  5. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Good essay by NPR's Scott Simon. "Looking away can cost lives too."

YankeeFan likes this.
  6. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

I saw this photo and could barely look at it. So sad, so heartbreaking. But, because of the power of this photo, I read the story and I'm more educated on the situation in Syria and what obstacles these refugees face. That alone tells me running the photo is the right answer here. Newspapers are about educating, provoking thought and creating change when necessary. This was a powerful message. Very, very sad and awful way to bring that message home to those who don't understand what's going on, but as an editor I would say it's a message that needs to be delivered. Run the photo, and I mean run the one that's so difficult to look at.

HC, YankeeFan, Vombatus and 1 other person like this.
  7. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

The Baylee Almon photo brought Oklahoma City home to me in a way that nothing else would have. I'm going to go with "run the photo."

OscarMadison and Baron Scicluna like this.
  8. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I would run the photo.

But I have a question for our Canadian friends. If there is one terrorist incident like the Boston Marathon committed by a Muslim what would the political consequences be in Canada?

Bill Clinton lost his reelection bid as Governor of Arkansas in 1980 in large part because he let a bunch of Mariel Cubans (many of whom were alleged to be criminals released by Castro from prison) onto a military base in Arkansas. And as far as I know the Mariel Cubans have collectively turned into a fine group of citizens. American politicians are generally not going to risk their seats to aid refugees on the off chance one commits a mass murder. Is the political situation in Canada different? I don't know.

9. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

10. Paynendearse

Paynendearse Member

11. Paynendearse

Paynendearse Member

Don't run the photo. This is all the result of the JV team. What does it matter now?

12. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

@LanceyHoward

As mentioned earlier I think this has become an election issue. The lack of movement to rush to bring more refugees here is being painted by some as indicative that our current PM is inflexible and heartless.

IMO if a refugee commuted an act of terrorism it would be seized upon by a vocal minority who would almost welcome it as proof that we should not have opened our borders.

I don't think it would play out that quickly though as the election is 5 weeks away.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.