1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Photo frames

Discussion in 'Design Discussion' started by RedCanuck, May 14, 2007.

1. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

I've noticed a number of papers recently in their redesigns have abandoned using frames on their photos throughout the paper. Is anyone doing this? What's the rationale?

2. shotglass

shotglass Guest

We haven't framed photos for about 6-7 years now. Generally thought of as unnecessary.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

On color shots I use a 1.5 or 2.0 border. Other times I've used thick borders to create the "you're-looking-through-the-window-of-this-moment" effect. It's all what looks good for that moment.

4. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

I usually stick with a 1 pt. on everything, and at other shops I've stuck with a hairline. Unless the layout calls for a special bleed or something, it just seems like the photo is naked without one.

5. VJ

VJ Member

Frames are only necessary if your presses aren't capable of eliminating the c olor bleed. If the presses are poor, the frame helps contain the color making the page look less crappy. But if you're a major metro with fancy new presses, the frames just distract from the photo IMO.

6. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

At my shop we use a .5 frame on most. Used to be everything, but now we are slowly starting to get away from it, although I think we should just go one or the other for pics with a story. I think we should abondon them, IMO they distract from the pic, it is a cleaner look without. For Stand alones, they should have one regardless.

7. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I use one unless the photo is specifically some type of bleed.

I've also started putting a 2 pt. border around feature art (not the photo, but creating the outer box). Helps it to stand alone and stand out more than a typical 1 pt. rule used for separation.

8. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

See, I think not having a frame is distracting. I hate not seeing a frame around a picture. Rarely is there a reason to not use one. Even if you just use a .25 pt. border. generally .5 pt. looks the best.

9. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

The problem with a frameless box is it's hard to tell where the picture ends when you have a white element on the edge of a photo.

We use a .5 pt frame most of the time.

10. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I use a .5 frame always. Frameless pics harken back to a time wehre a page was pasted together and the pictures were laid out with dark squares and shot through a camera, leaving a clear space on the negative for a picture negative to be placed.

11. chazp

chazp Active Member

Don't you like seeing a teaser photo on the top of A1 without a frame? It's a look we use on top of each section front. Wish we could do it more places.

Draft saved Draft deleted