1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Phone calls on deadline

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Smallpotatoes, Apr 28, 2008.

1. NightOwl

NightOwl Guest

I agree with Doc, and you did just fine. Forget about it.

p.s. Why was he slurring his words? Was he drunk, or was he ... umm, differently abled?

2. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I have no idea. The call came at 2:30 p.m. so your guess is as good as mine.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Switch the call to a non-paginator and tell them to take it for tomorrow's paper.

4. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

That was me.

5. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Well I said "No offense." :D

6. fishwrapper

Doc, nothing to do with our exchange...Just a tangent:
    No offense. But, for a coworker to turn to around and tell someone he was being rude, chances are...
    Years ago, we would tell the reader where to go and be on with our business. You know, the ever pressing task of getting dummies to paginators (or whatever it may be). Along the way, we lost our connection. Our relationship with our reader. We dismiss their charity golf tournaments (because there are 312 of them each weekend). We dismiss their television questions. We dismiss their scheduling questions. Yet, they look to us for help. Whether it be a phone call or a listing. Many times we dismiss them again. How many times do you hear "no" before you go elsewhere?
    We all get the calls. Many times unsohpistated, inarticulate and dense. But, we can't crow about being a public service when unwilling service the public. Take a minute, if you can. If you can't, find a minute when you can.

7. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

transfer the next call to your co-worker

8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Which is exactly what he did. So where's the 'rudeness?'

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Tell him to fuck off.

10. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I see nothing wrong in what transpired. Deadlines are deadlines, and everyone who works for a living should understand this. Politely asking someone to call back, or taking a number to continue the conversation should be received as perfectly okay to everyone, say, minus the stay-at-homes.

11. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

That's what I love about phone calls, when dealing with a dick becomes a spectator sport.

12. fishwrapper

So I have the timetable correct. That was before he hung up on him?
    My point being more general than specific.

Draft saved Draft deleted