1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Phoenix boy, 14, shoots armed intruder while watching three younger siblings

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gehrig, Jun 25, 2012.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

In Ct the parents would have been arrested for leaving the kids alone:

"A 39-year-old woman was arrested for leaving her children at home unattended, police said.

According to Sgt. Ogrinc, the department received a call from an adult female on Country Club Road West who stated that a 4-year-old girl that lived across the street wandered into her yard alone. When police arrived, they found three other children—ages 13, 10 and 1 1/2—in the home. Police later contacted their mother Rebecca Young, who was at church.

Young told police that she left the home at 1:30 p.m., but a babysitter was due to arrive at 2 p.m. The call, however, came into the department at 1:24 p.m., according to police. Young was charged with risk of injury to a minor and released on a PTA. She is scheduled to appear on court on May 29."

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I agree, but the former owners of Wolrd of Mirth in Richmond probably disagree.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

And this.

Boom: 13-year-olds can't babysit? Shit, I was watching my brother, who was 5, when I was 10. That's insane.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Agreed - it's ridiculous. Arrest caused a big stir in town and back lash against the police and neighbor who dropped a dime on the poor lady.

5. ChrisC

ChrisC New Member

Props to the dad on this one! Btw, found it on USA Today too; I guess outlets aren't too PC to report on this one.

6. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Just have to say, the notion that newsrooms are "too PC" to report in incidents when people successfully defend themselves from intruders is almost too comical for words.

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

It's a compulsory course at the University of Zagoshe.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Likewise, this is in the country, but my nephew shot his first deer (with some help from his dad) at age 3. I think he got the first one on his own last year at age 5.
    We also run hunting pictures in our paper that are almost all children, most of them younger than 12.

9. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Wow, my parents would have been jailed. By the time my sister was 13 and I was 10, we'd been being left along for years. My younger sister would have been 5 and my brother 8 at that time.

We'd get home, then walk a mile along the highway (or through the woods, depending) to the Suwanee Swifty for a candy fix. Good times.

Things have changed. Some are better, some are not.

10. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Would you rather the kid not be prepared or know what to do just in case something did happen while the parents were away from home?

11. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Is that one of the Jolie-Pitt kids? Or do those boys all have Mohawks?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted