1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Phoenix boy, 14, shoots armed intruder while watching three younger siblings

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gehrig, Jun 25, 2012.

1. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

Depends on if the slug was intentionally fired at the human target or just a bad shot. You can't expect a kid that young to be as accurate a shot as a pro.

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

You can't expect many adults in that situation to be accurate. Too many things going on in the body under a high-stress situation to make an accurate shot possible.

3. Is teaching your children to shoot intruders really a hallmark of responsible parenting (or responsible gun ownership, for that matter)?

4. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

well if the alternative is they'll get shot what do you think.

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I remember when that area was just farmland. How times have changed in Phoenix.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'm glad the kid and his siblings are okay. But yeah, there has got to be more to the story. And I really hope this doesn't encourage more parents to make their weapons easily accessible to their kids.

7. You have to weigh the odds of your children facing a violent home invasion versus accidentally shooting each other while playing with daddy's gun.

Unless you're living in Kabul, I would argue that the latter is far more likely.

(And this doesn't even begin to consider the argument that children injecting a weapon into a violent home invasion makes themselves more likely to be killed than if they had complied).

8. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

i guess since whatever you calculate the odds as, they actually did face an armed intruder they're probably glad he's their father and not you. but i guess you and the criminal's lawyer will argue he didn't fire a shot.

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Yeah, me too.

10. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

14 isn't that young. i had learned to shoot a gun by that age, probably a few years earlier.

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Little Jimmy was doing hits for mob bosses at 14

12. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Hell most my friends back home were going gopher hunting well before that age. Mind you, that's out in the country, not in suburbia.

Draft saved Draft deleted