1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Phishing for dummies...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by doubledown68, Mar 12, 2008.

1. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

So, my parents get an urgent call this evening from someone looking for me, claiming to be from Bank of America. He was adamant that he talked to me last month -- at their number -- about an "offer" of some sort.

Thankfully, Mom knew the guy was full of shit. Guy gave her an 800 number, with an extension to call. I call the number, dial the extension... it's a message from "Card Services" saying its after hours, and would I please leave my name, number, address, CREDIT CARD ACCT NUMBER, AND SSN.

I call Mom back and say its a scam... she calls the dude on the cell number that popped up and said all I got was a message.. response was that, well, the "lines are down" right now.

I google search the 800 number, and sure 'nuff, it's a scam. On the morrow I'm calling the Cleveland police (because that's the area code that called my folks) and letting them know what's up.

The lesson, I suppose.. be careful.. don't be dumb, all that stuff.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Well, you should start with some live concerts. "Live Phish Volume 18" is a good place to start. I was at that show in Dallas. Great vibe running throughout the songs.

(And when I get some of those scams, I'll sometimes take the time to give them a fake name, credit card and SSN number. Hopefully, they'll spend a few minutes wasting time running the fake numbers.)

3. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I always thought Phish was overrated.

4. John

John Well-Known Member

Same here. Love the Dead, love Widespread Panic, but Phish never did anything for me.

5. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

The Dead spoiled Phish for me. Well, Phish didn't help much, either.

6. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

That was me calling. And ummmm your SSN again please.

Draft saved Draft deleted