1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Phish announces reunion

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Oct 1, 2008.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Three concert dates next March in Hampton, Va., with more 2009 dates to be announced later.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081001/ap_en_ot/people_phish_7

2. jimnorden

jimnorden Member

sweet. pass the mushrooms. no seriously, pass the mushrooms.

3. MartinEnigmatica

MartinEnigmatica Active Member

I can't believe this got no responses.

Edit: And in the minute I was typing, it got one. Figures.

I'd love to get to one of those shows, even with the question lingering if they'd be in top form.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I need my glasses... at first glance, I thought this said "Flash announces reunion..."

5. jimnorden

jimnorden Member

have had a lot of good times at phish shows ... the all-night affair ringing in 2000 in the everglades was one to remember.

6. Mitch E.

Mitch E. Member

While I can't wait to see them again, and I'll definitely enter the lottery for all three shows, two of my best Phish-fan friends are no-goes. They say they'll wait until they tour closer to home. And a lot has changed for me since Coventry (I've got two kids now), I believe the same is true for a lot of other fans. Hell, I noticed a big difference in the fans when I last went to Hampton for the 'first' reunion shows.

But a lot of my excitement has to do with the whole 'nostalgia' part of it, which is part of the reason they broke up in the first place. They have to rehearse, they have to be 100 percent into it, and they have to blow me away, or I'll just click on a show from 94 on the Ipod and that's that.

7. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Hippies need money too!

8. Runaway Jim

Runaway Jim Member

Mrs. Jim and I would love to go, but we'd also like to take the kids along (they're 6 and 3, respectively). Since they've said on their website they're planning some summer dates, we'll probably wait for an outdoor venue a bit closer to home. Hampton's about six hours away, and the idea of taking the kids to an indoor show is a little scary. The one time I saw them in Hampton was a letdown. Great set, but the crowd was out of control, even by Phish standards.

I'm hoping enough time has passed that the fratboy idiots that pervaded their last tour four years ago have moved on to other things, but I suppose that's a vain hope.

Still, I'm very excited at the prospect of seeing them again, even if I have nothing but disdain for a large percentage of the crowd that shows up at their concerts.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

As someone told me in college...

"Phish is for hippies who are too dirty to get into a Grateful Dead show." (This was when Garcia was still living...)

I saw Phish at a festival once. Liked a couple songs, but didn't see what the big deal was....

10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I actually prefer Widespread Panic, but I figured there had to be a couple of Phish phans here so I started this thread to reel 'em in.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

So that was what, two songs?

12. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

In college I worked special events at the local arena and had the privilege of working a Phish show. Showed up for load out toward the end of the concert. I expected to walk in the building and get an instant high. Instead, I almost threw up. The collective BO of 10,000 Phish fans left a lingering smell in the Pan Am Center for weeks.

After the show the damn fans wouldn't leave the parking lot. We're trying to load the trucks at 2 a.m. and there's stinky, stoned assholes all around us who won't get out of the freakin way.

Draft saved Draft deleted