1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

PHILTHY

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SnarkShark, Oct 13, 2014.

1. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

If Giants fans harass him, he'll have the emotional-toll angle. I think he could turn this into a small settlement. Double Down seems to be ignoring that possibility. He doesn't need an airtight case for a settlement.

2. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

No libel in my opinion, but a good libel lawyer once told us that we see the thing like editors, not like the opposing lawyer. FWIW.

Things could have changed in the 18 years since I worked there, but when I was hired a manager told me that they differ from the Post in that they don't deliberately make up shit, and I found that to be true. Also, we were good about checking with the lawyer because he was on retainer anyway, so why not.

3. clintrichardson

clintrichardson Active Member

this could be libel—not saying he would win a huge verdict, but in general a photo and caption that combine to portray someone in a false light absolutely creates legal liability on the part of the publication.

4. X-Acto

X-Acto Guest

There is video that's been all over the place in Philly clearly showing the guy's reaction changing dramatically once he realizes Cruz is hurt. He goes down to one knee and appears to be praying and showing concern for Cruz.

For what it's worth

5. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I agree with everything stated saying he can clearly show he was not cheering Cruz's injury.

I still do not believe he could "win" a libel case against the Daily News. Libel lawsuits are hard.

I am more inclined to believe Vers' theory that he could get money in a settlement. If I were Jeffery Lurie, I might bankroll a lawsuit against The Daily News just as a gesture of faith to my employees that I had their backs, no matter how small. But I can't see that happening, unless Lurie is bored as hell.

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

That is EXACTLY what happened. No one cheered once it was clear that Cruz was hurt. Fans gave him a nice ovation as he was helped to the cart. Frank has a point but in this sue me society, I'd say the guy has a good chance of getting some kind of settlement. Overall, what TDN wasn't cool at all. IMO

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

That's not his style.

Draft saved Draft deleted