1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Philly Talk Show host versus Phillies manager

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by zagoshe, Apr 18, 2007.

1. Blue_Water

Blue_Water Member

Haven't lived in the Philly area for a while, but on my drive-thrus it seems like Eskin has toned down his act. He was one of the original talk trash and hang up on callers when sports talk radio first started, but it seems like he's morphed into just a cynical, bitter man. Do people think he did this for attention or did it just happen? Kinda curious.

2. hpdrifter

hpdrifter Member

Did I hear the manager say he's been "growed up for a long time?"

3. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Good Ole Charlie Manuel. I wonder if he's ever learned how pronounce Miguel Tejada's name?

Don't know much about this Erskin characer, but if he's a sports talk guy I would have liked to seen Manuel pound on his ass. Like Zimmer, Manuel is very old school. I heard the tape of what he said and Erskin sounded liek he was just tryng to get under Manuel's skin for a response. Well, he got one.

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

The episode struck me as another idiot radio "personality" trying to make himself the story. He was successful, of course, but he remains an idiot. Manuel shouldn't have allowed himself be baited like that, though.

5. Moland Spring

Moland Spring Member

The image I get is of a fan-boy radio guy, so upset his manager is letting him down, that he's going after him with fight-me questions and trying to bait him. Those who know him, is that accurate? In my mind, what else could it be? A real reporter would never get as emotionally invested, I don't think.

6. again ... listen to the audio ...

Howard did not ask baiting questions. He did not ask inappropriate questions. He did not ask anything that was unethical or improper.

It's easy to dismiss this as just another radio asshole being a jerk, but that wasn't the case this time.

7. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Write, I listened to the audio. I think he was trying to bait him into something. Maybe he wasn't, and maybe that's the conclusion we all jump to, but that's what it sounded like to me. Why else would he ask it unless he wanted something good to put on the air.

If Manuel had given just an ordinary response like "I get mad sometimes" and left it at that, don;t you think Erskin would have gone on and tried to get him fired up so her can get his juicy soundbite?

The best part was in the lockerroom when Manuel got even more pissed. I love Charlie Manuel, old school country boy.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

They're more like guidelines.

9. I'm not an Eskin apologist, but Howard is a little different than most of the people whom we're calling "idiot radio personalities." He goes to games and practices, gets to know the coaches and athletes on a personal basis (sometimes, as in the case of Charles Barkley, too personally), and does his homework.

How many "idiot radio personalities" would even show up at a ballpark after calling for a manager's head?

I've been around, and I can't think of another talk-show host who has quite as much invested in his job as he does. Sometimes, that's a negative -- he berates and belittles callers who don't know as much as he does (which is why I'm not an apologist). But it's not like he just showed up at the ballpark and started baiting Manuel one night.

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Too bad this didn't happen in Baltimore.

11. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Was fun to see which papers quoted him directly as "growed up" and which ones cleaned up the grammar for him. I agree with the practice, but it's a fun spectrum in which some papers won't even identify the guy he's arguing with (and I think a radio personality generally is a more public figure than a beat writer), while others are running transcripts.

Draft saved Draft deleted