1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Philly schools cancel Teachers' union contracts

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Oct 6, 2014.

1. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

So, since they know any negotiation will result in a change, the teacher's union has no incentive to ever agree on anything?

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Their pay is typically frozen with no annual COLA increases.

I can see how hard you're trying to make this about big bad teachers, but not being under contract is a pretty typical state of existence. In fact I would say almost never does a strike begin the moment a contract runs out.

3. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I feel like everybody has got to give a little bit these days. I don't see any reason why teachers, or cops or firemen or really anyone should be exempt from this.

It's more big bad union than big bad teachers, but it's hard to feel too bad for someone who is only being asked to pay a small portion of their health care.

4. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

The law is pretty clear about the state's right to take over Philadelphia schools and overrule the district's Board of Directors. It's unclear if that same authority extends to the "Federation of Teachers," but it already has been shown to limit the union's bargaining power on certain issues, and also prohibits teacher strikes.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

That's a matter for negotiating.

The idea that "everybody has got to give a little bit these days" is laughable as the same people who push hard for these public-employee concessions are by and large the same people who fight to cut corporate and high-earner individual taxes. There is no "giving a little bit" up in those ranks.

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

So, you're saying people would be pissed if they were lied to about their health plans?

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

LOL.

Actually, there were! I was at an install in the suburbs at 7:30AM and did four more jobs after that. And, the tech that works for me did three jobs.

8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

This would seem to suggest you have a clue as to what has transpired in the stalled negotiations, what each side has offered and requested and what would constitute a reasonable compromise.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Sounds fine. Let's see the CEOs voluntarily give up their bonuses. Deal?

10. Stop trying to be rational!!!

11. Which is another issue: government employees should have NEVER been given the right to unionize.

12. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Why? Are government workers not workers?

Draft saved Draft deleted