1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Philly papers donated to new media institute

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by wicked, Jan 12, 2016.

1. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Unless I'm blind I don't see a thread on this anywhere, and the only place it was posted was on an existing thread. Pretty big news.

Lenfest donates newspapers, website to new media institute

Anyway, wow. Tell someone 10 years ago that this would happen today, and they would've called you nuts.

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

People are still in shock and really don't know what to make of it. The Tampa Bay Times in St. Petersburg, Fla. is run by a for-profit operation owned by the Poynter Institute, and The Day, a New London, Connecticut-based newspaper held in a public trust.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

As a St. Pete Times alum (still have a tough time calling it Tampa Bay Times) I can attest that the media institute ownership can be great, but that's my perspective from a dozen-plus years ago. In this era, it's doing them zero favors.

4. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Same thing at The Day, which has had a bunch of layoffs.

Same thing at the Union Leader in Manchester, N.H., which also has cut a bunch.

Draft saved Draft deleted