1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Philly Magazine Tierney story

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by formulacola, May 4, 2007.

1. formulacola

formulacola Member

Well-done, frightening Philadelphia Magazine profile on Inquirer/Daily News publisher Brian Tierney:

http://articles.phillymag.com/articles/press_lord_20/index.html

I know most of us probably didn't have any delusions that Tierney was going to be good for the Philly papers after what's happened in the past year, but damn. The future looks even more foreboding for the Inky and Daily News after finishing that story.

2. mocheeks10

mocheeks10 Member

I found it interesting (and troubling) that a newspaper man -- or, at least, what passes for one in this day and age -- has such credibility issues.

3. shockey

shockey Active Member

oops. my bad. hoped this was a maura tierney thread. :eek: ;D 8)

4. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

seconded. rowr.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Super piece.

6. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Keep Brian Tierney in mind when you rail against corporate ownership of newspapers.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

sorry, the piece sucked. couldn't force myself to read past page 2.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

It's devastating stuff. Course, it helps to be interested in (a) the NE market, and/or (b)
    BT's personality profile.

9. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

The fact he thinks Stephen A is great worries me greatly. Never read him, but he completely turns me off on TV.

Still reading the rest

10. MartinEnigmatica

MartinEnigmatica Active Member

Tom, just curious...why did it suck? And no, I'm not Fagone.
    As for the issue in the story, here's what got me:

"The idea that a newspaper owes something to its community beyond profits clearly isn’t what excites Tierney anymore, and maybe it never did. What excites him is the possibility that this cobwebby enterprise of American metro journalism — this business that belongs to the era of Charles Foster Kane — could be made to rhyme with the values and business climate of 2007, and that Brian P. Tierney could be the guy to make it happen. Forget the civic experiment. Philadelphia Media Holdings is a mere business experiment now."

Well, great. It's ridiculous to think, as it was mentioned in the story, that Tierney could have been a reporter. He may be a "visionary", but to a completely skewed end that would turn the Inquirer into an information bazaar.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Once I read that Tierney is walking around believing that Annenberg actually conceived the idea for TV Guide himself, I rolled around on the floor, laughing hysterically.

The young are so easily fooled.

12. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

His take on newspaper unions was interesting.

Draft saved Draft deleted