1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Philly judge: Reid family dysfunctional

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Nov 1, 2007.

1. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

[​IMG]

Here's a question: what about baseball managers? Their season starts in mid February and ends, if they're good, at the end of October. Many long road trips, constantly having to deal with reporters asking the same question five times a day for six months straight, yet, they manage to spend time with their families.

Now, I'll give that managing a baseball team doesn't involve the same amount of strategy or brain power that coaching a football team does. Any fool who watches both sports could tell you that. What I am getting at is that like a lot of people in this country, NFL (and college) coaches are going overkill. Too much violence, too much food, too much money, too much game film. This is why you have assistants: to delegate these responsibilities. Plus, no matter how much time you prepare, analyze, drill & teach, it all comes down to a player's thought process and ability to execute the job he is supposed to do. I've also noticed that when you spend so much time doing one thing, your senses get dulled, your energy & desire run low and you end up not doing as good of a job as you would with a fresh mind.

Like my grandfather used to say: too much of a good thing isn't good, either.

Aside from criticizing the ungodly amount of hours NFL/college coaches put in, that's beyond the point now with the Reid family. The damage is done and all the public (and us, for that matter) is hope that the whole family learns the error of their ways and pray that they are strong enough to overcome this and come out the other end of the tunnel better off than when they entered.

2. JoelHammond

JoelHammond Member

Disturbing stuff.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eagles/20071102_REID_SONS_ARE_SENT_TO_JAIL.html

3. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

At what point do you just cut your kids off if you are Andy Reid? They are beyond help it seems at this point.

4. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

The most disturbing part of that...

It said earlier in the story that...
    That's a lot of pills to shove up there. Wowzers.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Do they manage to spend time with their families? That's debatable. Football coaches have been romanticized with the sleeping on the office couches, gameplanning into the wee hours, setting the home alarm clocks at 3:47 a.m. (the latter was made out to be some wonderful thing when Jon Gruden won his Super Bowl). But they only have one game a week. Baseball managers can't possibly have much quality family time much with 6-7 games a week, mostly at night where they're getting to the park at noon or whatever (and that's when not on the road).

But overall I still say the long-hours discussion is bunk in singling out coaches. High-paid lawyers put in a zillion hours. At the other end of the income scale, parents working two jobs certainly aren't home much. And we know our profession isn't 40 hours. Beat reporting is a 24/7/365 job now, and all of us sadly know about some colleagues' marriages that didn't survive the stress. At the end of the day you just hope and pray that children/young adults can avoid addictions and errors in judgment that lead to extreme stories like this one with the Reids.

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I played in a charity golf tournament with a former NFL player from the 1990s, and asked him those same questions. He said there are two factors going on here: 1. Coaching in the NFL is one big giant game of cover your ass. His contention is that coaches don't need to work 80 hours a week, but since they all fervently believe the other 31 coaches are sleeping in cots in their offices, they've got to do it also. 2. Most of the time, this player said, is spent on so much minutae that it's impossible even for the smart players to digest it all. He said the coaches will go over an opponent's tendancies on third-and-four, from the left hash, inside their own 30, with the wind blowing SSW. Again, it's a CYA game. When the team loses because someone broke a big play in that situation, the coach can sit back and rationalize: "I showed them the tendancy. They didn't stop it."
    This guy's contention was that with 47 guys on each team, the players all know each other and their games. Everyone runs more or less the same offense and defense. It's a matter of reacting after the snap and getting the right match-up 3-4 times a game to get the plays you need to win 17-13.

He agreed with me: the 80-hour weeks are unnecessary. That's why he was rooting for Spurrier to make it with the Redskins, to prove it. Even though he crashed and burned (couldn't be the fact that The Danny was such a bad judge of free-agent talent, could it?), this player still believed the long hours are overrated. It's just that no one wants to be the first coach to try toning it down, because if they lose, everyone will question his work ethic.

7. shockey

shockey Active Member

all kids of coaches are not effed up. that's largely because the wives of nfl coaches are some of the greatest women i've ever known. they are the masters of running the show at home, the real "head coach" of the family.

that said, something tells me tammy reid may have whiffed here as much or more than andy did. the wives of nfl coaches understand the deal. just saying for those who want to play the "blame game," where was tammy during all this?

that said again, these effed-up kids of their's are not wayward teens. they're both over 21. i know your responsibilty as a parent is felt until the day you die, but really when does the primary responsibility for being effed up lay at your own feet? ??? ??? ???

8. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Oh. Damn.

Draft saved Draft deleted