1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Philly judge: Reid family dysfunctional

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Nov 1, 2007.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Not here, boy-o.

Sean Salisbury was on ESPN last night, and was emphatic that

a) The Fat Reid had pledged his life to his lord and savior, Jesus Christ; and

b) He knows for a fact that the Fat Reid put his family first before all else.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I asked an assistant coach this once.
    He explained that he had 10 offensive linemen who played in a game.
    "So I watch that film 10 times and grade every one of them."
    "You can't just watch it once and have an idea of how your guys played?"

He looked at me like I was from another planet.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I completely disagree. Having an NFL coach for a father doesn't make a family any more or less susceptible to turmoil. Are some coaches the only professionals in America working ridiculous hours and putting jobs first? We only hear these sad stories because coaches are public figures.

Plus, lumping Dungy in this discussion is unfair if you're somehow tying in his son's suicide as a product of him being a busy NFL coach (and that last part is somewhat inaccurate too, he has the job in a helluva lot better perspective than most). There was obviously a very deep mental illness that was unlikely to be helped one iota if Dungy had a different line of work.

4. Yes. A lot of people seem to be jumping to the conclusion that the two sons got into trouble simply because Dad wasn't around. That might be true, but it might not be.

Of course, it doesn't help that Reid appears to have absolutely no personality in the first place and (correctly, unfortunately for us) won't talk about his family's problems.

That said, it seems to me as if he has to resign, if for no other reason than his sons dearly need all the help he can give. I don't know what he can do, but, to me, his priority should be his family, and his demanding job is not helping him address it.

One thing I'm really sick of hearing about is how a football team is like a "family." If it really is, something's wrong.

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

That's great advice. Except if your able to give it or listen to it, you don't need it.

6. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

How do you know this?
    There are crappy parents who clock out at 5 every day and great parents who do 80-hour weeks.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Agreed. And this doesn't happen with the children of every NFL coach. Then again, not all of them are 20-hours-a-day, sleep-in-the-office psychos like Gruden, to pick out one example.

I have met Bill Cowher's two older daughters on a few occasions and both seem to be extremely well adjusted. Granted, it's only a very small amount of time I spent around them and maybe they're both nuts, but it sure doesn't seem that way. Never heard anything negative about them.

Then again, I also used to see Cowher out with them a lot in public (I lived in a neighboring town. Went to some of the same restaurants and such). When he quit, people dismissed the idea of wanting to watch his youngest daughter play high school basketball, but Cowher really did do that for his older ones.

Not saying that was any perfect family life. I've heard good and bad and plenty of rumors go around that town. But I think it is definitely possible to be a successful head coach without completely fucking things up at home.

8. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

I feel bad for Andy and Tammy Reid. This kind of thing can and does happen to good parents with good intentions and values. Whether the Reids are, I can't say; but it's heartbreaking to see any parents have to go through their children's self-destruction. I hope and pray I'm never faced with a similar situation.

I don't see where quitting his job is necessarily the right move. What is he going to do--sit outside the jail every day? The normal guy can't just quit his job when this happens to his family; he needs to keep working to put the food on the table, and try to deal with the family crisis at the same time.

And yes, Reid has the kind of scratch, where unlike the regular joe, he could afford to quit his job and spend every waking hour attending to his boys. But, maybe Andy Reid needs football in his life right now.

9. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

One of his sons is 24, right? All of them are legal adults. At what point does the responsibility shift to his sons? Maybe he didn't do such a swell job back when they were growing up, but at a certain point the responsibility has to rely on you deciding that popping pills and aiming guns at people ain't the grandest of ideas.

10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

The home environment was like a drug emporium, with large quantities of prescription and illegal drugs laying around... And it isn't the parents' fault?

Wake up, Reid parents.

"I liked being the rich kid in that area," the report quoted Reid as saying, apparently in reference to North Philadelphia. "I could go anyplace in the 'hood. They all knew who I was. I liked being a drug dealer. . . . These kids were scared of me, I was even selling to their parents."

He later started selling OxyContin and "began using."

Nice.

11. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

People here know that the life of an NFL head coach is all-consuming. Leave the house before dawn, get home about 10 p.m. Spend quality time with your wife about once a week during the season, then do more or less the same during draft/free agency in the off-season. Just as bad for assistants, too.

12. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Sounds like if Andy had been a regular 9-5 Joe and not the coach of the Eagles making a boatload of money that his kid wouldn't have been a "rich kid" and would have been a nobody in North Philly had he tried to deal drugs there. North Philadelphia has some very tough neighborhoods. I imagine there's a difference between going into that turf as drug dealer Joe Schmo and drug dealer Garrett Reid, son of the Eagles coach. If you're an average Joe Schmo dealing and get shot & killed, nobody in the city will care; if the son of the Eagles coach gets shot while dealing, the entire city will join in the manhunt to find the killer.
    So its not a case of Andy abandoning in the family, its a case of Andy's kids taking advantage of the lifestyle they were afforded because of dad's celebrity status in the city.

Draft saved Draft deleted