1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Philly judge: Reid family dysfunctional

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Nov 1, 2007.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3089753

Sounds like Dad lost his priorities. The job seemingly got bigger than his family.

2. Andy Reid's family "in crisis", judge says.

Writing's on the wall. He's going to have to step down, if only temporarily. Say hello to Coach Morningwhig.

http://www.philly.com/philly/hp/news_update/10944771.html

Garrett and Britt Reid were sentenced to jail today on charges stemming from January traffic incidents, and in a dramatic moment, the judge likened their home environment to a "drug emporium."

Their father is Eagles coach Andy Reid.

Judge Steven O'Neill questioned whether Reid's adult sons should live there, given their drug problems.

"There isn't any structure there that this court can depend upon. . . . This is a family in crisis," O'Neill said.

Garrett Reid was sentenced to two to 23 months, and authorities said that he had smuggled 89 pills into jail by secreting them in his rectum.

Britt Reid was sentenced to eight to 23 months, and four years stemming from a road-rage incident during which he flashed a gun.

Andy Reid did not comment after he left the courtroom.

Earlier in the day, Garrett Reid told court officials he had sold cocaine in the past, and had started abusing drugs when he was 18.

O'Neill said the pills, including Valium, were found in the jail this morning. Reid could face additional charges in connection with the pills.

After sentencing, Garrett Reid, 24, was returned to jail. His father and his mother, Tammy, were in the courtroom. Neither spoke.

At the sentencing hearing, Reid said he had struggled with drugs since high school. He also voiced despair.

"I'm at the point in my life where I have already made the decision that I don't want to die doing drugs."

"I don't want to be that kid who was the son of the head coach of the Eagles who was spoiled and on drugs and OD'ed and just faded into oblivion," he said in court.

3. Re: Andy Reid's family "in crisis", judge says.

Damn, Hondo beat me by a few seconds ..

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Do we really need to fucking DB both these threads? Especially when they were posted seconds apart? Give it a fucking rest.

5. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

6. Had I not spent all that time verifying it wasn't a D_B, it wouldn't have been a D_B.

7. Amazing what a bad season does to your popularity, though I don't necessarily disagree with the majority. Family's got to come first.

From Philly.com :

READER POLL
    What should Andy Reid do to deal with his family turmoil?
    Resign. (41.6%)
    = 275

Take another leave of absence. (21.6%)
    = 143

Keep coaching. (36.8%)
    = 243

Total votes
    = 661

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

Little late on counts A, B, C, D and E, kiddo.

There is a great book to be written about how NFL coaches napalm their family lives for the job.

It happens to everyone, even the decent folks like Dungy and, apparently, Reid (no idea if he's a good guy or not, he's always come off OK, but maybe that's because he's a roly-poly fat guy).

9. forever_town

forever_town Active Member

This is a terrible situation for Andy, Tammy, Garrett and Britt Reid. I hope they can get on the path of healing.

Football rivalries don't mean a Goddamn thing when a family is in crisis. Maybe it's time for those of us who live and breathe our jobs to take a step back. Otherwise a lot of us will be like the characters in "Cats In The Cradle."

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

If they were 8-0 those results would be far different.

11. lantaur

lantaur Active Member

How can any NFL football coach be a good parent? They work every day and often 12+ hours from July-early January. I guess there are ways to interact with your kids on some level, but surely not "enough" (whatever that is).

12. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

A tangent, but this is the thread for it: Can anyone explain to me why professional football coaches think it's necessary to work 20 hours a day, 7 days a week, 50 weeks a year? Is it really that hard? Harder than anything else? It's not like they're trying to map the human genome, or crack the Dead Sea Scrolls - and it doesn't seem to have noticeable results on the field except for a handful of teams. Is it simply a conceit of the game?

Draft saved Draft deleted