1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Philly Inquirer Hires New Phillies Beat Writer

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by PatrickCarney, Mar 1, 2009.

1. PatrickCarney

PatrickCarney New Member

After Zolecki left for MLB.com there was an interesting discussion on these boards, given the financial situation of the paper, about who they would hire.

Here's our answer... Andy Martino from the NY Daily News.

http://www.philly.com/philly/hp/news_update/Hello_from_your_new_beat_writer.html

Thoughts?

2. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

Good for Andy, I guess, and I hope for his sake he negotiated a solid severance package that will be exempt from bankruptcy proceedings.

3. PatrickCarney

PatrickCarney New Member

That would be nice.

He has big shoes to fill. I used to work there and Zolecki had a very loyal following.

4. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

Kind of brings up a more interesting question. Would you take a job at a paper that just filed for bankruptcy? Seems like it would be a risky proposition.

5. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

If I were unemployed or flipping burgers, yes, yes I would.

If I were on staff at another paper, with better seniority than "last guy in," doubtful.

6. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Dibs on Drip's house!

7. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

No riskier than taking a job, or working, for that matter, at any other newspaper these days. If anything, they won't want to lay off their new guy on a major beat.
    My only hesitation would be if I was giving up lots of seniority to be low man on the totem pole at a Guild paper that does layoffs by reverse seniority.

8. Mediator

Mediator Member

Andy's actually relatively new in the business and wasn't full time at The Daily News, so this is a great move for him despite the risk. He's a strong reporter and can make the most of it in an uncertain climate.

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

The house ain't for sale.
    There will be a newspaper in Philadelphia. He's at the stronger of the two. The only way he gets screwed is if the two editorial staffs merge and the wonderful Guild steps in. Good luck Andy and fasten your seat belt.

Draft saved Draft deleted