1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Philly Ink has new sports editor

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by dcdream, Dec 17, 2007.

1. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Show me a report saying this, and I'll buy it.

2. Ya gotta do it, Wick, if for no other reason that it's your only option - other than the status quo. Traditional methods of funding have dried up. Everyone's on the Internet. Newspapers have to drive up web traffic to show advertisers their product is getting looked at. The 24-hour model drives hits. Video gives them something else to click on. Sucks in many cases, but consider the alternative.

3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Look, I'm not saying I object. I'm saying that I'm not buying that it's the salvation of the business. It's like cutting off your arm and growing your hair long to make up for it. C'mon.

4. If you're noticebly cutting content to put shit on the web, then yes, I agree with you 100 percent. I have no doubt many newspapers are doing it that way. I'm sure my last paper is doing it this way. (They're not very smart.)

My current paper is apparently taking money from underperforming ventures and investing in internet capabilities.

5. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

Here's the thing though. At the APSE convention this summer, I could swear it was one of the advertisers saying they don't advertise with newspapers because newspapers have an outdated model when it comes advertising. And nothing can help that.
    Plus, let's face the fact that a lot of ad people don't go out and search for new clients. If it doesn't land in their lap, then they don't fuckn bother.

Draft saved Draft deleted